Expand and collapse topic TOC

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
steinbacherGE

Expand and collapse topic TOC

Post by steinbacherGE »

Is it possible to modify wt_topic.html so that the topic TOC expands and collapses like the publication TOC?
WebhelpTopicTOC.png
WebhelpTopicTOC.png (157.19 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
We would like wh_topic_toc to have a button similar to wh_publication_toc.

Thanks,

Leroy
Costin

Re: Expand and collapse topic TOC

Post by Costin »

Hi Leroy,

Adding a button to hide the topic toc is not somthing you could do by default using the current implementation of webhelp.
However, I logged an improvement request in our internal tracking system, so our development team will consider adding a button to expand/collapse the toc in a future version of the software.

Meanwhile, most probably this could be achieved through a JavaScript customization.
If you would create your own JavaScript customization, see this section from the User-Guide, describing how to add the JavaScript through HTML content in the WebHelp output.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
steinbacherGE

Post by steinbacherGE »

We are actually looking for this feature in the main TOC menu to the left and not the topic menu.

Currently there is a way to collapse all the menu children, but not the menu itself.

This would allow users to show or hide the publication TOC to make more room for the topic content within the browser window.

Thanks,

Leroy
ionela

Post by ionela »

Hello,

Just to update the thread, this improvement has been implemented in the latest version (v24.0) of Oxygen XML which has been recently released. You can download v24.0 from our website:
Download Oxygen XML Products

The complete what's new list is available here:
What's New in Oxygen XML Webhelp 24
What's New in Oxygen XML Editor 24

Let us know if you encounter further problems with the new version.

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
kerxh0913

Post by kerxh0913 »

Hello, just wanted to add some feedback to this thread. I am noticing multiple issues with the new Expand/Collapse button for the Publication TOC after upgrading to OxygenXML Editor v24. I have never had an issue with prior upgrades; they always worked seamlessly.

Specifically, I had customized the Cobalt Tiles template a couple of versions ago, and now my page layout is all wonky. The publication TOC jumps all over the place and winds up smooshed above the Breadcrumb section of the page.

To resolve this, I attempted to rebuild the template from scratch and retrofit my custom CSS file but didn't get that far. Even without my custom CSS, there are issues.

The default TOC container (in Cobalt) scrolls down the page awkwardly and bleeds into the footer. I added a max-height in CSS to resolve this, which is not ideal because our pages are different lengths.

Also, the scrollbar that gets added to the TOC container by default is not ideal for us. It's a lot of scrolling and content moving up and down. This is going to confuse our users, along with the default positioning of the toggle button when the TOC is closed (which also jumps around, by the way).

I then tested my content (minus custom CSS) with the Minimal Tiles theme, and what happens there is that both the TOC and page content sneak above the Breadcrumb section as you scroll down the page. So it appears there are different issues in different templates.

The following would be very helpful if at all possible:
- Instructions on working with and customizing the new TOC
- Instructions on preserving existing templates after upgrading
- The ability to toggle on or off the new functionality (it might've been helpful to implement this along with the new feature so that users could test it out and turn it off if it didn't work for them).

May also want to look at the new Breadcrumb positioning. It seems like something may have changed there too but I wasn't able to pinpoint the issue.

Thanks, regards-
beniamin_savu

Post by beniamin_savu »

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback!

The WebHelp Responsive output has been updated in version 24 to comply with the HTML5 validation rules and some of the CSS rules have also been updated. It is possible that this may have caused some of your custom CSS rules to not work anymore. We suggest to verify and update the CSS rules from you publishing template according to the new HTML structure.

Unfortunately the WebHelp Responsive HTML output structure is susceptible to change from one version to another. We try our best to maintain backwards compatibility between each version of WebHelp Responsive, but some more complex changes involve structural changes in the HTML output, which could make some CSS rules to not be compatible anymore.

Please note that another cause for the issues you described may appear if you have a custom publishing template, with the HTML page layout files exported, which was not updated for version 24. We suggest to convert your publishing template from your current version to version 24 using the procedure that can be found here:
https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... lates.html

Regarding the problems you encountered with the Cobalt template, we are not aware of any issues when running the WebHelp Responsive transformation using the default Cobalt template (without customizations). If you had problems when running the WebHelp Responsive transformation with the default Cobalt template, could you please send us some screenshots with these problems?

Best regards,
Beniamin Savu
Oxygen WebHelp Team
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Stacey

Post by Stacey »

We've also had issues with WebHelp output in oXygen 24. It's to the point where we're just outputting from oXygen 23 and hoping oXygen 25 will fix the issues.

Are you able to provide a list of what's changed? If our templates need to be adjusted, I can ask our WebHelp person to do it, but it's hard to claim that's the issue when output is fine from v23 but not from v24.
Costin

Post by Costin »

Hi Stacey,

As it is not clear which specific issues you encountered while using the version 24, I suggest you should create a separate post and describe the issues, with as many details as possible.
If you have a small sample (a DITA Map in an as minimal form as possible) that reproduces the issue, you could also send it to us using the technical support email (support@oxygenxml.com), or the support form available here.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi