Oxygen 3.0 Eclipse, can not save preferences

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
ruettioxy

Oxygen 3.0 Eclipse, can not save preferences

Post by ruettioxy »

I can not save my preferences anymore. If I press Apply or OK in the preferences dialog, there is a pop-up with the following message:

oXygen Plugin (Name of the Pop-up)

Cannot save options because:
java.lang.NullPointerException - null

MacOS X 10.3.2, JVM 1.4.1 with Update 1
Eclipse 2.1.2
There is no log found in workspace/.log or in the Console of MacOS X. :( :(
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Maybe some stack trace in workspace/.metadata/.log ? Did you look in Error Log view (Window -> Show View -> Error Log) ?
ruettioxy

Post by ruettioxy »

sorin wrote:Maybe some stack trace in workspace/.metadata/.log ? Did you look in Error Log view (Window -> Show View -> Error Log) ?
None. I just deleted the log files. Shut down eclipse and restarted eclipse again. Then I opened the preferences. Saving is OK. The I open the oxygen tag in the preferences and try to save. The exception as described above occure now every time I try to save my preferences. There is no error log in workspace/.log or workspace/.metadata/.log.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

One thing you should try... In your home directory there is a folder named com.oxygenxml that contains the preferences. Please rename that folder and try again.

Best Regards,
George
ruettioxy

Post by ruettioxy »

[quote="george"]Hi,

One thing you should try... In your home directory there is a folder named com.oxygenxml that contains the preferences. Please rename that folder and try again.

It is found in $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.oxygenxml
I renamed the directory. After starting up Eclipse and opened the preferences, the directory "com.oxygenxml" is created, but I can not save the preferences, again. No luck!

Regards,

Cyrill
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Dear Cyrill,

Please set your Eclipse to use Java 1.3. AFAIK 1.4 is not supported with Eclipse 2.1 on Mac OS X. Otherwise just put Eclipse 3.0 M6 with Java 1.4 and the oXygen plugin for Eclipse M6. In this later case do not forget to put also the Xerces jars in the endorsed directory as explained on the download page:

http://www.oxygenxml.com/download.html#eclipse

Best Regards,
George
ruettioxy

Post by ruettioxy »

[quote="george"]Dear Cyrill,

Please set your Eclipse to use Java 1.3. AFAIK 1.4 is not supported with Eclipse 2.1 on Mac OS X. Otherwise just put Eclipse 3.0 M6 with Java 1.4 and the oXygen plugin for Eclipse M6. In this later case do not forget to put also the Xerces jars in the endorsed directory as explained on the download page:

I just made sure with which JVM Eclipse 2.1.2 is running on my machine. It is JDK 1.3.1, the Info.plist in the wrapper advises Eclipse to run with 1.3.1. So the problem is not the JVM.

I tried the eclipse plugin with 10.3.2, JVM 1.4.2 and Eclipse 3.0M6. The same problem.

So is the problem only specific to me or are there other with this problem??

Regards,
Cyrill
ruettioxy

Post by ruettioxy »

Hello,

I just tried the following configuration:

Gentoo Linux 1.4, JDK 1.4.2_02 only (Eclipse is running with 1.4.2), Eclipse 2.1.2_GTK.

There is no problem saving the preferences. So is it a platform bug specific to Mac OS X?

Regards,

Cyrill
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

[just updating the entry with the latest status]
After receiving a log file from Cyrill we were able to spot the problem and fix it. The fix will go in the 3.1 maintenance release next week. A current workaround is to configure log4j to set the logging level above DEBUG.

George