Oxygen 7.2 on OS X: Reset cache and validate

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
rrliu

Oxygen 7.2 on OS X: Reset cache and validate

Post by rrliu »

In Oxygen 7.2 on OS X the "reset cache and validate" icon is greyed out. I don't find this function in Document | XML Document either, just validate. It is extremely annoying to have to start Oxygen to accomplish this. It used to work in Oxygen 7.1. When can I expect a fix?
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello Richard,

I think you are editing an XML Schema or other type of schema (Relax NG, Schematron, etc) not an XML document which refers explicitly an external schema. The Reset Cache and Validate action does not make sense for a schema file because such a file is always validated internally, not against a schema loaded from disk or from a Web server.

Regards,
Sorin
rrliu

Post by rrliu »

You are right, I am validating a schema. The trouble is, the schema imports and includes various other schemas, and when I change some of the component schemas and save them, I don't see the changes in the logical view of the diagram of the importing/including schema, no matter what I do: switch between normal and logical view, refresh, etc. Another thing: In the normal view I only see the root and the schema element, nothing else. It doesn't matter what element I've selected in the schema iteself, nor what options I select in the diagram. I can't recall having had so much trouble with a release of Oxygen. I briefly looked for 7.1 in the archive, so that I could reinstall it, but I couldn't find it either. This is frustrating.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
rrliu wrote:The trouble is, the schema imports and includes various other schemas, and when I change some of the component schemas and save them, I don't see the changes in the logical view of the diagram of the importing/including schema, no matter what I do: switch between normal and logical view, refresh, etc.
Press the Refresh button on the toolbar of the diagram view. It was created exactly for your situation. Without this button the diagram should refresh the included parts all the time with a totally inacceptable performance. If Refresh does not work it could be the same problem which you reported before with an included part. Try again with the patch provided there.
rrliu wrote:In the normal view I only see the root and the schema element, nothing else. It doesn't matter what element I've selected in the schema iteself, nor what options I select in the diagram.
I think it is the same problem which you reported before. Use the patch provided there.
rrliu wrote:I briefly looked for 7.1 in the archive, so that I could reinstall it, but I couldn't find it either.
The Software Archive page does not contain any 7.x versions as the current version is 7.2 and works with the same license key as 7.1 and 7.0. Only 6.x versions or previous ones are available there.

Regards,
Sorin
rrliu

Post by rrliu »

OK, thanks, the oxygen.jar file fixes this problem. The oxygenEclipse.jar does not fix the other problem, however.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Do you mean the ClassNotFoundException ? Does a reinstallation of the Eclipse plugin fix it ? It seems an Eclipse problem.

Regards,
Sorin
rrliu

Post by rrliu »

Still experiencing problems with the refreshing of XML Schema schema diagrams. If one schema includes another, both open in Oxygen, and I edit the included schema, the modifications do not appear in the including schema, even if I save the included schema and click the refresh button in the diagram of the including schema.

For example, if this is library_example.xsd:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
targetNamespace="http://www.ubs.com/namespace/wbml-render"
xmlns:wbr="http://www.ubs.com/namespace/wbml-render"
xmlns="http://www.ubs.com/namespace/wbml-render" elementFormDefault="qualified"
attributeFormDefault="unqualified">
<xs:include schemaLocation="book_example.xsd"/>
<xs:element name="library">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element ref="book" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

and this is book_example.xsd:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
targetNamespace="http://www.ubs.com/namespace/wbml-render"
xmlns:wbr="http://www.ubs.com/namespace/wbml-render"
xmlns="http://www.ubs.com/namespace/wbml-render" elementFormDefault="qualified"
attributeFormDefault="unqualified">
<xs:element name="isbn">
<xs:complexType mixed="true">
<xs:attribute name="isbn" type="xs:NMTOKEN" fixed="isbn"/>
<xs:element name="title" type="xs:string"/>
<xs:element name="author" type="xs:string"/>
<xs:element name="character" type="xs:string"/>
<xs:attribute name="id" type="xs:string"/>
<xs:attribute name="available" type="xs:string"/>
<xs:attribute name="isbn" type="xs:string"/>
<xs:attribute name="title" type="xs:string"/>
<xs:element name="book">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element ref="isbn" minOccurs="0"/>
<xs:element ref="title" minOccurs="0"/>
<xs:element ref="author" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
<xs:element ref="character" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</xs:sequence>
<xs:attribute ref="id"/>
<xs:attribute ref="available"/>
<xs:attribute name="isbn" type="xs:integer"/>
<xs:attribute name="title" type="xs:string"/>
<xs:key name="isbn">
<xs:selector xpath="."/>
<xs:field xpath="@isbn|wbr:isbn/@isbn"/>
</xs:key>
<xs:key name="title">
<xs:selector xpath="."/>
<xs:field xpath="wbr:title|@title"/>
</xs:key>
</xs:schema>

Load both into Oxygen 7.2 and display both schema diagrams. Then, in book_example.xsd change the type of id, but don't save the file. Look at the diagram of library_example.xsd. The change is not displayed. Refresh the diagram. Still, the change is not reflected. Save book_example.xsd. The change is still not reflected in library_example.xsd. Refresh it. Still, the element is displayed unchanged.

While you're at it, look at this in Eclipse 3.1.2 on OS X as well. Clicking on the + and - to expand or collapse an element seems to affect the the wrong element, namely, (in the case of -) the one following the one that should disappear. For example, in the diagram of book_example.xsd, when the diagram is fully expanded in the Full Model View, click on the - after the isbn element. The @isbn attribute disappears, not the Complex Type symbol. In fact, hover over any object in the diagram: the tooltip pertains to the next one!
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

rrliu wrote:If one schema includes another, both open in Oxygen, and I edit the included schema, the modifications do not appear in the including schema, even if I save the included schema and click the refresh button in the diagram of the including schema.
It happens only in Eclipse 3.1.2 on Mac OS X. On Windows it works OK. We will look at it.
rrliu wrote:While you're at it, look at this in Eclipse 3.1.2 on OS X as well. Clicking on the + and - to expand or collapse an element seems to affect the the wrong element, namely, (in the case of -) the one following the one that should disappear. For example, in the diagram of book_example.xsd, when the diagram is fully expanded in the Full Model View, click on the - after the isbn element. The @isbn attribute disappears, not the Complex Type symbol. In fact, hover over any object in the diagram: the tooltip pertains to the next one!
I am sorry, I cannot reproduce the two problems. The + / - symbols and the tooltips are OK even in Eclipse 3.1.2 on Mac OS X 10.4.6, using the schema files which you posted above.

Regards,
Sorin
rrliu

Post by rrliu »

Just checked again here at home. Even tried starting Eclipse with -clear. Still the same problem. I'm sending you some screen shots in a separate mail.
rrliu

Post by rrliu »

Do you think it could be a problem with the way I installed the original plugin? I remember trying both ways, but I can't recall which was the last way I tried. I think I used the .zip method.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I checked again in Eclipse 3.1.2 on Mac OS X with oxygenEclipse.jar and plugin.xml which I specified and I cannot reproduce the problem that you show in the screenshots. The behavior is the same as in <oXygen/> standalone: when the mouse pointer hovers over the + or - sign of the isbn element the tooltip contains the name of the element (xs:element, name:isbn) and clicking on the + or - sign affects exactly the child (the xs:complexType) connected to that + or - sign.

Can you try with a clean Eclipse install ? That is install Eclipse in a new folder, install only the <oXygen/> plugin, close Eclipse, replace the oxygenEclipse.jar and plugin.xml files and restart Eclipse with the -clean parameter. Does it work correctly ?

Regards,
Sorin
rrliu

Post by rrliu »

Hi Sorin,

No, it still doesn't work, but things have become weirder. Here's what I did:

I uninstalled Eclipse by throwing it into the Trash. Then I downloaded Eclipse 3.1.2, the Oxygen plugin, oxygenEclipse.jar and plugin.xml again. I got the plugin from the Oxygen Download page, and the .jar and .xml files from your last reply to this thread.

Then, I installed the Eclipse folder in Applications and started it. In Eclipse I filled in the information for using a proxy during update, the URL for the Oxygen update site, and then installed the Oxygen plugin. I let Eclipse restart itself according to its own recommendation. Now here's what's weird: Without using your oxygenEclipse.jar and plugin.xml, everything worked just like before. That is, no error message when trying to configure the Oxygen plugin, no error message when loading a schema, but also the same problem with the diagram that we've been discussing. The Oxygen plugin seems to be build 2006060615.

After I installing the .jar and .xml files, I can no longer access the Oxygen preferences panel, and attempting to load the schema fails. (Yes, I did specify -clear.)

In a second test, I trashed Eclipse, reinstalled it, and installed the Oxygen plugin from the .zip, even before starting the new installation for the first time. Then I started Eclipse with -clear. Same results: Everything worked exactly as before. Oxygen preferences panel OK, loading schemas OK, but the diagram is still plagued by problems. If I shut Eclipse down, install the .jar and .xml files, and restart Eclipse with -clear, the original problems reappear.

I'm really at a loss to explain this behavior.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello Richard,
sorin wrote:That is install Eclipse in a new folder, install only the <oXygen/> plugin, close Eclipse, replace the oxygenEclipse.jar and plugin.xml files and restart Eclipse with the -clean parameter.
rrliu wrote:After I installing the .jar and .xml files, I can no longer access the Oxygen preferences panel, and attempting to load the schema fails. (Yes, I did specify -clear.)
rrliu wrote:If I shut Eclipse down, install the .jar and .xml files, and restart Eclipse with -clear, the original problems reappear.
You should use -clean instead of -clear. That is the correct name of the parameter. Where do you specify the -clean parameter ?

Try the following: trash Eclipse, empty the Trash, install Eclipse 3.1.2 in a different folder, with other name than before, download the .zip distribution of the <oXygen/> plugin from the Download page and unzip it in the new Eclipse folder, do not start Eclipse now, replace oxygenEclipse.jar and plugin.xml as discussed above, now you can start Eclipse for the first time. You should be able to access the <oXygen/> preferences and see the schema diagram for wbml-render.xsd without problems.

Regards,
Sorin
rrliu

Post by rrliu »

OK, Sorin. Sorry about -clear. Tried it with -clean, then the new stuff worked, but the diagram still didn't work properly. I see it, but I have the problem of the controls controlling the wrong nodes.

Then did what you suggested, trashing Eclipse and reinstalling a totally new folder, installing plugin and patches before first start. Same thing: everything but the diagram works properly.

What do you suggest?
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

rrliu wrote:Then did what you suggested, trashing Eclipse and reinstalling a totally new folder, installing plugin and patches before first start. Same thing: everything but the diagram works properly.

What do you suggest?
I can make an archive with my Eclipse 3.1.2 + <oXygen/> 7.2 patched plugin installation and post here the URL for download. Is your Mac computer PowerPC or Intel based ?

Regards,
Sorin
rrliu

Post by rrliu »

Sorin,

That would be great. It's a PowerBook G4 17" (PowerPC).

Thanks,
Richard
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

I made an archive of Eclipse 3.1.2 with <oXygen/> 7.2 already installed. This should enable the plugin to start correctly and build the schema diagram correctly also for the wbml-render.xsd schema without other problems like wrong tooltip, expand/collapse other node when the +/- sign is clicked in the diagram.

Regards,
Sorin
rrliu

Post by rrliu »

Hi Sorin,

The plot thickens!!! On a hunch, I booted the PowerBook in Safe Mode, and the patched Eclipse installation works properly, i.e., the schema diagram now displays the correct tooltips and the +/- control operates on the expected diagram component. After rebooting normally Eclipse is still working properly.

It seems that another problem has also been solved by the safe boot. Recall that I reported that, in Oxygen, when the diagram is displaying a schema that includes or imports other schemas, changes made to an included or imported schema are not reflected after refreshing the diagram, even if the modified schema is first saved. That seems to be working now, at least, when viewing in the Full Model View. In the Logical Model View no amount of refreshing seems to produce the desired result, I must close the including schema and reopen it.

After making this happy discovery I read this article from Apple that describes what safe booting does: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107392. I think the problem cannot have anything to do with something that is not loaded in the safe mode that is normally loaded, otherwise I would still have the same problems when reboot normally. So I think the difference must be the clearing of the font cache. Maybe you can test that hypothesis. You said in this thread that you could reproduce the problem, that updates in included schemas were not reflect in the refreshed diagram of the including schema, only in Oxygen for OS X. Does clearing the font cache solve that problem, at least for the Full Model View? Another test of the font cache hypothesis: Is the Eclipse installation with the patched Oxygen plugin running on another Mac than the Oxygen installation on which you confirmed the problem?

Regards,
Richard
rrliu

Post by rrliu »

Immediately after posting the above reply I saw that you had prepared an installation for me to test. My previous posting refers to my installation of yesterday, not the one you just made available. I'll download it now an keep it, just in case the problem returns.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

rrliu wrote:Another test of the font cache hypothesis: Is the Eclipse installation with the patched Oxygen plugin running on another Mac than the Oxygen installation on which you confirmed the problem?
It is the same Mac computer.
rrliu wrote:I booted the PowerBook in Safe Mode, and the patched Eclipse installation works properly, i.e., the schema diagram now displays the correct tooltips and the +/- control operates on the expected diagram component. After rebooting normally Eclipse is still working properly.
The patched jar always worked fine in Eclipse 3.1.2 on Windows so surely it is a problem specific for Mac OS X, which can be solved by a reboot as you discovered.

Regards,
Sorin