plugin bug configuring a transformation

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
nihilo

plugin bug configuring a transformation

Post by nihilo »

Hi,

I've run into a bug in the Oxygen eclipse plugin (2.0.2). When I have an XSL document open, and I press the button to configure the transformation, the dialog window tries to open, but it freezes immediately, and I have killall to quit the application. Control never returns, and this happens everytime I try to configure the transformation.

I am running Eclipse 2.1, with Oxygen plugin 2.0.2 beta, and this is on Linux with Java 1.4.1_01.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

The latest release for the eclipse plugin is 2.0.2 beta3. Are you using this one ? If not please download it from the download page. In the previous releases the transformer configuration dialog is implemented in Swing and it was rewritten in SWT in the 2.0.2 beta3.

Best Regards,
George
nihilo

Post by nihilo »

george wrote:Hi,

The latest release for the eclipse plugin is 2.0.2 beta3. Are you using this one ? If not please download it from the download page. In the previous releases the transformer configuration dialog is implemented in Swing and it was rewritten in SWT in the 2.0.2 beta3.

Best Regards,
George
Ithink I actually was mistaken and I had already installed beta3, because that is all that is in the plugins directory now. It still crashes eclipse when I try to configure the transformation.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

Please look in the workspace/.metadata/.log file. There should be a trace of the error there, please reply with that. Also if you make the PDE Runtime/Error Log view visible it is possible to see an entry there with more details about the problem.

Thank you,
George
nihilo

Post by nihilo »

Please look in the workspace/.metadata/.log file. There should be a trace of the error there, please reply with that. Also if you make the PDE Runtime/Error Log view visible it is possible to see an entry there with more details about the problem.

Thank you,
George
There is nothing about the Oxygen plugin in the .log file. Here is the trace:

!SESSION Jun 10, 2003 10:35:38.460 ---------------------------------------------
java.version=1.4.1_01
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 -install file:/opt/eclipse/
!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 1 Jun 10, 2003 10:35:38.465
!MESSAGE Problems encountered loading the plug-in registry.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 1 Jun 10, 2003 10:35:38.465
!MESSAGE Plug-in "org.eclipse.xsd.edit" was disabled due to missing or disabled prerequisite plug-in "org.eclipse.emf.edit".
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.runtime 2 1 Jun 10, 2003 10:35:38.466
!MESSAGE Plug-in "org.eclipse.xsd.editor" was disabled due to missing or disabled prerequisite plug-in "org.eclipse.xsd.edit".
!MESSAGE Plug-in "org.eclipse.xsd" was disabled due to missing or disabled prerequisite plug-in "org.eclipse.emf.ecore".
!MESSAGE Plug-in "org.eclipse.xsd.test" was disabled due to missing or disabled prerequisite plug-in "org.eclipse.xsd".

I have some other plugin problems, but no mention of Oxygen. I am not able to get anything out of eclipse, as it crashes before the window can open.
nihilo

bug remains in 2.0.2beta4

Post by nihilo »

I've just installed beta4 eclipse plugin, and am still not able to use XSL stylesheets within eclipse/oxygen, as the whole IDE freezes when I try to configure the transformation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i really need to be able to transform from within oxygen/eclipse.
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

I read recently a news thread on news://news.eclipse.org/eclipse.platform.swt (subject: bug when calling java.awt.Color on MacOSX) that shows that these situations can appear if the AWT is used together with SWT. Now there are a couple of points where we use some AWT classes as we reused most of the code from the standalone version. We will factor out these classes replacing them with simple implementations or interfaces (as it will be the case).

FYI see below a relevant message from the discussion I was refering about:
> I did some testing and this is definitively seems to be a bug.
>
> I tested this in a working class (that had no bug):
>
> ....
> // add the import
> import java.awt.Color;
> ....
> // initialize a color with the awt.Color lib.
> Color noir = Color.black; // this causes a bug when trying to load the
> Color librairy
>
>
> I would like somebody else to confirm it before posting a bug. Thnaks.
>
> Patrice Drolet
>

On MacOS X (and probably on other platforms as well) it is not supported to
use AWT and SWT at the same time.
Even instantiating an AWT Color starts the AWT event loop which will
conflict (deadlock) with SWT's event loop.

Yes, please file a bug. But it is very unlikely that we can fix the problem.

you can try to workaround the problem by:
- removing all dependencies on AWT
- create a fake AWT that contains the Color class but uses SWT internally
- wait for the Swing based SWT port discussed elsewhere on this list.
This can explain also why there is no error trace in the .log eclipse file.

Best Regards,
George
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

We managed to get the plugin working on Linux - tested with Eclipse 2.1 on Mandrake 9. There was some AWT interference that was factored out. A new eclipse plugin release will be out at the end of this week, probably it will be called 2.0.3 beta so that the 2.0.3 that will be in August will contain full releases for both desktop and eclipse versions of oXygen.

Best Regards,
George
nihilo

Post by nihilo »

We managed to get the plugin working on Linux - tested with Eclipse 2.1 on Mandrake 9. There was some AWT interference that was factored out. A new eclipse plugin release will be out at the end of this week, probably it will be called 2.0.3 beta so that the 2.0.3 that will be in August will contain full releases for both desktop and eclipse versions of oXygen.

Best Regards,
George
This is a repeat of another post, but I wanted to post in both appropriate threads. This bug with the plugin working on Linux to configure a transformation is still there. I'm using plugin 2.0.3 (today's version), and Eclipse 2.1.1 GTK.

thanks..
nihilo

still broken

Post by nihilo »

I downloaded 2.0.4 beta to fix another problem I was having, and thought I would let you know that this bug is still in the 2.0.4 beta version (eclipse linux-gtk 2.1.1).
nihilo

still broken

Post by nihilo »

I just downloaded 2.0.4 eclipse plugin, hoping that the transformation configuration option would have been fixed, and just wanted to let you know that this is still not working, so I still cannot do any transformations at all from within eclipse.

On June 17, you guys had said that the probelm was likely due to using both awt (which were adapted from the standalone) and swt classes, and that you were going to refactor out all the awt classes in your code. Did this ever happen?

This is happening with 2.4.20 linux, gnome, eclipse2.1-gtk.

thanks..
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

Yes the AWT code was factored out from the Eclipse plugin - on Mac OS X Eclipse enters in a deadlock if any AWT is used and it works now on Mac OS X.

I mentioned in one of my replies that we have problems using Eclipse with GTK in general - we will try soon with 3.0 M3 to see if the situation is improved and also look into this problem. In the meantime it will really help if you can send us some more information, like a stack trace. You can look in the .log file from your workspace/.metadata directory or if there is nothing there try the following:
Start eclipse from a command line prompt. When Eclipse freezes, go back to the command line prompt and press Ctrl+Break. If that does nothing, try kill -3. Depending on your VM, this should either output a stack trace to the console or create a java core file.
I got this from an Eclipse bugzilla entry. Please send us this file.

Best Regards,
George
nihilo

FIXED IN eclipse-SDK-I20030923-linux-gtk.zip

Post by nihilo »

Yes the AWT code was factored out from the Eclipse plugin - on Mac OS X Eclipse enters in a deadlock if any AWT is used and it works now on Mac OS X.

I mentioned in one of my replies that we have problems using Eclipse with GTK in general - we will try soon with 3.0 M3 to see if the situation is improved and also look into this problem. In the meantime it will really help if you can send us some more information, like a stack trace. You can look in the .log file from your workspace/.metadata directory or if there is nothing there try the following:
Start eclipse from a command line prompt. When Eclipse freezes, go back to the command line prompt and press Ctrl+Break. If that does nothing, try kill -3. Depending on your VM, this should either output a stack trace to the console or create a java core file.
I got this from an Eclipse bugzilla entry. Please send us this file.

Best Regards,
George
I just downloaded eclipse-SDK-I20030923-linux-gtk.zip and the latest eclipse 3 oxygen plugin, and the configuration problem does not occur. Hurray.

If you would like me to try to get more information, let me know. There is definitely nothing in the log file about this, as I have checked before. It crashes before it can log anything, and the only way to exit is by killing eclipse. I haven't ever tried the other options you quoted though, so let me know if you'd like this, and I can check on my other machine tomorrow which still has the old versions.

cheers..
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

I'm glad to hear you managed to get this working.
Taking into account that we have not modified the transformer configuration dialog since 2.0.3 I'm sure it was an Eclipse problem. Having the stack trace would have been helpful for posting a bug report on Eclipse bugzilla but now that this is solved I guess you should take that time to use the product :).

Best Regards,
George
nihilo

UPDATE

Post by nihilo »

Just FYI:

I installed the 3.0 plugin with eclipse-SDK-3.0M3-linux-gtk, and the transformation crash does not occur there, but nothing at all happens. No crash, no configuration window.

It looks like Eclipse probably fixed something between the milestone release and the I20030924 release that came out yesterday.