Find and replace

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
Alantin

Find and replace

Post by Alantin »

I'm not sure whether or not this has been discussed before, but I've got two gripes with the entire Find and Replace approach.

When I click Find, I expect a Find dialog, when I click Replace I expect a Find/Replace dialog. Currently, both are integrated in the same dialog. Admittedly, this makes sense from a reuse point of view, but not necessarily from a usability point of view.

My second gripe is with the Replace to End button. It took me a while to figure out that is sort of a Replace All button in that it replaces all found occurences from the cursor position to the end of the file. However, Replace All implies that all found occurences within the document will be replaced and that's something I sorely miss.
sorin_ristache

Re: Find and replace

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
Alantin wrote:When I click Find, I expect a Find dialog, when I click Replace I expect a Find/Replace dialog. Currently, both are integrated in the same dialog. Admittedly, this makes sense from a reuse point of view, but not necessarily from a usability point of view.
I think a single dialog for both find and replace is easier to use. I have to remember only one shortcut and the behavior of only one dialog, if I decide that I want to replace some find matches I don't have to close a dialog and open another one. Other applications with larger user bases opted for such integration too.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin_ristache

Re: Find and replace

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
Alantin wrote:It took me a while to figure out that is sort of a Replace All button in that it replaces all found occurences from the cursor position to the end of the file. However, Replace All implies that all found occurences within the document will be replaced and that's something I sorely miss.
We will add a Replace All button to the Find/Replace dialog.

Thank you for the suggestion,
Sorin
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,
We added a 'Replace All' button in the Find/Replace dialog.
We also added a quick find panel(firefox style) which is invoked by pressing CTRL-ALT-F.
Both features will probably be available in version 7.1.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com