Drag file to DITA Maps Manager

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
jelovirt

Drag file to DITA Maps Manager

Post by jelovirt »

On OS X (OS X 10.5.5, Java 1.5 & 1.6) you can drag a file to DITA Maps Manager from e.g. Finder, but you can't drag a file from Oxygen main editor to the DITA Maps Manager. The opposite can be done by clicking "Open map in editor" button. Could the drag-and-drop be added to drag a file from the editor window to DITA Maps Manager?
sorin_ristache

Re: Drag file to DITA Maps Manager

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I think that is not necessary. When you open a DITA map file (a file with .ditamap extension) Oxygen asks you how you want to open the file: as a DITA map in the view DITA Maps Manager or as a normal XML file in the XML editor panel. It does not matter if you open the file from the global toolbar button Open of the Oxygen window or from the toolbar button Open of the view DITA Maps Manager.

If your DITA map files have other extension you can add it to the DITA Map document type from Options -> Preferences -> Document Type Association.

Regards,
Sorin
jannylun

Post by jannylun »

I second this request. Especially considering the workaround for running DITA-OT transformations on DITA topics, it would be nice to be able to drag'n'drop files into the DITA Maps Manager.

Reference: http://www.oxygenxml.com/pipermail/oxyg ... 02393.html
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

The problem is that the drag behavior is used to re-arrange or split editor tabs in the edit area.
We cannot add the behavior of dragging tabs to the DITA Maps Manager or to the Project without disabling the default behavior which is done through a third party component (the Jide docking framework) and cannot be controlled from our code.

For now my advice is to link your directories in the Oxygen Project and then right click files and choose "Open with... DITA Maps Manager".

The possibility to transform topics with the DITA Open Toolkit when opened in the main editor area will probably be added after Oxygen 11 as this implies some major changes in the way we handle creating new transformation scenarios.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
jannylun

Post by jannylun »

Radu wrote:The problem is that the drag behavior is used to re-arrange or split editor tabs in the edit area.
We cannot add the behavior of dragging tabs to the DITA Maps Manager or to the Project without disabling the default behavior which is done through a third party component (the Jide docking framework) and cannot be controlled from our code.
Could it be possible to add an option to enable / disable the current behavior? If the behavior was disabled I suppose you could handle drag / dropping files easier.
Radu wrote: For now my advice is to link your directories in the Oxygen Project and then right click files and choose "Open with... DITA Maps Manager".
Would it be possible to get this added in the context menu of tabs in the editor window? Then there wouldn't be a need of adding files in a project just to get them opened in the maps manager.

Br,
Jan
Radu

Post by Radu »

jannylun wrote:Could it be possible to add an option to enable / disable the current behavior? If the behavior was disabled I suppose you could handle drag / dropping files easier.
Unfortunately this is not possible right now without completely breaking the docking feature for editors.
jannylun wrote:Would it be possible to get this added in the context menu of tabs in the editor window? Then there wouldn't be a need of adding files in a project just to get them opened in the maps manager.
It would be possible but the point is the flow needs to be reworked so that DITA-OT transformations could be easily performed on DITA topics. Opening topics in the DITA Maps Manager is obviously a workaround to allow this. So we are trying to avoid implementing workarounds for other workarounds as these will lead to complications in the user interface.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
jannylun

Post by jannylun »

Radu wrote: It would be possible but the point is the flow needs to be reworked so that DITA-OT transformations could be easily performed on DITA topics. Opening topics in the DITA Maps Manager is obviously a workaround to allow this. So we are trying to avoid implementing workarounds for other workarounds as these will lead to complications in the user interface.
Yes, for topics this would be a workaround, but for DITA Maps it would be useful to have a function "open in maps manager" similar to the existing "open in editor" that can be used from within the maps manager.
simonbate

Post by simonbate »

XMetaL allows you to switch between their Map Editor and the XML editor for DITA maps. I was quite surprised to find that oXygen only goes one way: from the Maps Manager to the Editor. This means, if I initially open a map in the Editor and want to get a Maps Manager view on the file, I have to close it and re-open it from the Maps Manager. For symmetry's sake, please consider adding a "Editor to Maps Manager" command.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

We will consider adding on an editor tab an "Open in DITA Maps Manager" action as this seems to be a popular use case with our users.

Kind regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger