Allowing

Oxygen general issues.
anayram

Allowing

Post by anayram »

Is there a way to copy text (from Author mode) and get *all* the content in plain text, including tags and prose?

I am copying this:

Code: Select all

<CHRONPROSE>French physician <NAME>Pierre Briquet</NAME> (<DATERANGE FROM="1796--" TO="1881--" EXACT="BOTH" CALENDAR="NEWSTYLE" CERTAINTY="CERT">1796-1881</DATERANGE>) published <TITLE TITLETYPE="MONOGRAPHIC">Traite clinique et therap&eacute;utique de le hyst&eacute;rie</TITLE>.
But what I get is:

Code: Select all

French physician Pierre Briquet (1796-1881) published Traite clinique et therapéutique de le hystérie. Briquet argued that hysteria was caused by the central nervous system rather than a disorder of the uterus, as was commonly believed.mpo: this is a researchnote
I work with content authors who have basic computer skills. Most of them will avoid working in Text mode (and therefore copying from that mode will be out of the way). The reason they will need to copy this text is that there is a database where they submit new content. The content is delivered by a large publisher, so usually work is very fast paced, and they need to keep out of tech stuff and focus on content creation.

Thanks for your time,
--
anayram
anayram

Re: Allowing

Post by anayram »

And the Subject should be something similar to "Allowing copy and paste from Author mode including tags."

Sorry about the mistake.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

If the content authors work only in Author mode they can copy and paste only the text content without the XML tags exactly because content authors usually have basic computer skills. In Author mode you can get the full content that includes the XML tags only with a custom Author action that you add to your framework.

If the content authors do not modify the document in Text mode there is no problem if they switch to Text mode only for copy and paste of full content and switch back to Author mode for editing the content.

Regards,
Sorin
anayram

Post by anayram »

Thank you, our previous editor allowed copying/pasting tags and prose, so authors are pretty used to this. We will see into adding a custom action to our framework.

The problem with switching to text mode is that you also get the indenting (tabs and spaces), which will also cause problems at the moment of submitting new content. I will also see into the post at http://www.oxygenxml.com/forum/post14642.html#p14642
to get rid of indenting, but this will also make it difficult for authors to read the plain text version of XML.

Cheers.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Anayram,

Let me see if I understand exactly the case:
You want the copied XML to not be indented/formatted at all.

If we were to add an action of "Copy as XML" it would probably copy the selected content as indented as it is easier to read and edit in the application where it is pasted. The indent should not matter as the indented and unindented XML fragments are equivalent.

If you want special processing of the copied XML fragment the answer is probably, as Sorin said a custom "Copy" action which you can define in the Author mode. Which type of XML files are you editing? Maybe we can guide you to implement such an action.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
anayram

Post by anayram »

Hi Radu, thanks so much for your help.

This our ideal scenario:
Users being able to copy text (from Author mode) including XML tags WITHOUT indenting/formatting. If I wanted the indented version, I would go to Text mode and copy from there.

OK scenario:
Users being able to copy text (from Author mode) including XML tags WITH indenting/formatting. (We did some tests and found a way to submit content including such whitespaces without a problem.)

If a "Copy" action would give us any of the above options, that would be perfect. We are editing XML files using a Relax NG schema, does that answer your question? We would appreciate it if you could guide us to implement the copy action.

Cheers,
--
anayram
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Anayram,

Please email us with more details.

We need to know if you have defined a document type for your specific XML file and if so if it is possible for you to send us the RelaxNG/CSS files you use to edit it.
We'll try to make a sample Author "Copy" extension action and give you details about how to use it.

You can find the support email address here:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/contact.html

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com