CSS font-family property / Java fonts

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
solarian

CSS font-family property / Java fonts

Post by solarian »

I've come upon an issue that seems to have been introduced in 10.3 to do with CSS font properties. I have a CSS declaration as follows:

Code: Select all

*[lang="he"] {
font-family: "Times New Roman";
}
This worked fine in Editor view in 10.2, displaying Hebrew characters in Times New Roman (which has subsets for Hebrew, Arabic, etc.). However, in 10.3 it will only display those little boxes to show it can't display the right glyphs. It will display Hebrew when I choose "Arial" or "David" fonts instead, and eventually I figured out that it's probably interpreting "Times New Roman" as "Times", which doesn't have a Hebrew subset. This is because I realised that other declarations like:

Code: Select all

text {
font-family: "Garamond Premr Pro";
}
were also being misinterpreted; in this case, I was getting Garamond instead of the Garamond Premier Pro in Editor view. It is worth noting that I am able to get other fonts with spaces in the name to work fine, for instance "Adobe Caslon Pro" does actually display "Adobe Caslon Pro" and not something else.

There is another issue to do with transforming TEI to PDF, in that I can't seem to get it to use fonts other than the standard Java fonts (i.e., serif, sans-serif, etc.) by changing the font names in tei-param.xsd (e.g., to Times New Roman, which is specifically defined in the JRE and so should definitely be available). This was also working fine in 10.2, and it doesn't seem to matter whether I use the bundled JRE or my system JRE (1.7.0) which I was using with 10.2.
solarian

Re: CSS font-family property / Java fonts

Post by solarian »

P.S. Apologies, when I said "Editor view" in the above, I meant to say "Author view". Font display works fine in Editor view.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
solarian wrote:This worked fine in Editor view in 10.2, displaying Hebrew characters in Times New Roman (which has subsets for Hebrew, Arabic, etc.). However, in 10.3 it will only display those little boxes to show it can't display the right glyphs. It will display Hebrew when I choose "Arial" or "David" fonts instead, and eventually I figured out that it's probably interpreting "Times New Roman" as "Times", which doesn't have a Hebrew subset.
You are right, it is a regression in version 10.3. We identified the cause and we will let you know when you can download a new build that fixes the problem.
solarian wrote:There is another issue to do with transforming TEI to PDF, in that I can't seem to get it to use fonts other than the standard Java fonts (i.e., serif, sans-serif, etc.) by changing the font names in tei-param.xsd
There is a procedure for specifying a font for the PDF output of a TEI transformation. You should make sure that the TEI stylesheet parameter is set correctly and that the path of the font file that will be embedded in the PDF is specified correctly.

Regards,
Sorin
solarian

Post by solarian »

Hi,
sorin wrote:You are right, it is a regression in version 10.3. We identified the cause and we will let you know when you can download a new build that fixes the problem.
Thanks, much appreciated.
sorin wrote:There is a procedure for specifying a font for the PDF output of a TEI transformation. You should make sure that the TEI stylesheet parameter is set correctly and that the path of the font file that will be embedded in the PDF is specified correctly.
Thanks, I must have forgotten about this.

Regards,
Ian
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

We updated the install kits available on the Download page to include a fix for this problem. Please reinstall version 10.3.

Regards,
Sorin
solarian

Post by solarian »

Thanks for a speedy fix.