Slow in connection with GoogleDrive

Oxygen general issues.
bernd_moos

Slow in connection with GoogleDrive

Post by bernd_moos »

Oxygen Editor has a tendency to become slow/unresponsive on my Windows 11 computer. This concerns many different actions such as opening, saving files, transformations, and simple editing in the text view (sometimes several seconds between a click and the appearance of the cursor at that point). I notice that the problems go away when I stop the GoogleDrive application on my computer (just pausing synchronisation will NOT do the trick). On my GoogleDrive, I have rather large directories (up to 10.000 files) with XML files, some of which I am editing in Oxygen.

Has anyone else experienced such problems? My guess is that some background process of Oxygen is interacting with some process of GoogleDrive, but I have no idea how to handle this without quitting GoogleDrive.

Any hints will be appreciated.
adrian

Re: Slow in connection with GoogleDrive

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Have you tested with a different application, if opening and saving files from that synchronized folder is affected?
I can't really comment on what GoogleDrive does, I'm guessing it polls for file changes, but that shouldn't affect file opening.
Oxygen only polls for file changes for open files. So if you have a file open in Oxygen, when you switch back and forth between apps, Oxygen will check if the currently edited file has been changed in the file system and if that is true, depending on options it will reload the file automatically or prompt for confirmation. There is no other background process that Oxygen has.

There may be additional behavior involved, if the Git plugin is installed in Oxygen and is also pointing to this folder. Is that the case?

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
bernd_moos

Post by bernd_moos »

Thanks for your reply.
As for your questions: No, other applications (e.g., I do a lot of stuff in Notepad++ on the same set of files) are not affected in the same way. And no, I do not use Oxygen's Git integration.
I know about Oxygen's background check for file changes and find it very useful. However, if that is what gets in the way (or GoogleDrive is too greedy to let oXygen do it), I could do without it. There isn't by any chance, an option to turn that check off?
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

I guess you can try disabling that check, sure. Go to Options > Preferences, Global and clear the box for Check opened files for file system changes.

For saving files faster you can also try going to Options > Preferences, Editor > Save and clearing the Safe save (only for local files) option. After clearing this option Oxygen overwrites the file like any normal editor does.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
bernd_moos

Post by bernd_moos »

Thanks again! Disabling the check does the trick: I now have GoogleDrive running and Oxygen as responsive as I need it :-)
bernd_moos

Post by bernd_moos »

P.S.: I have just had a hint that it may not be GoogleDrive itself that is causing the problem, but an interaction of GoogleDrive and the VirusScanner. Just in case somebody is running into similar problems