Project Perspective - Creating Projects & File Browser?

Oxygen general issues.
tangst

Project Perspective - Creating Projects & File Browser?

Post by tangst »

Hi,
I'm evaluating OxygenXML, and I have a question about the Project Perspective. Please note that I'm not familiar with Eclipse.

I click the Create Project button and an project.xpr file appears in the Project window. Right-click on that file gives me some options.

I have an existing website/source code on my local machine. I want to use OxygenXML to be able to directly edit these files. I do not want to move them or create another copy of them. I see several similar options, so I am confused as to the proper action to take.

What is the difference between...
1) Add Files
2) Import Folders
3) Link to External Folders

Also, is there a file browser so I can look at the files on my local machine? I don't want to have to use File->Open every time I have an isolated file to view.

Thank you for your time.

--Stephen
sorin_ristache

Re: Project Perspective - Creating Projects & File Browser?

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

The action Add Files adds one or more files to the current Oxygen project. The action Import Folders adds the whole content of one or more folders located on the local computer to the current project. The action Import Remote Folders adds the content of one or more folders located on a remote computer to the current project. The folders created by these actions are not synchronized with the content of the physical folders from disk / remote computer. The action Link to External Folders adds adds one or more folders to the current project but these project folders are synchronized with the content of the physical folders from which they were created. This difference is marked by using a different icon for the linked folders - a yellow folder icon (the folders that are not synchronized have a blue icon).

The actions do not copy the files or folders selected by the user. They add only references to the files/folders to the current project.

What do you mean by looking at the files without opening them? If you want to look or preview the content of a file in Oxygen you have to open it with the Open action available on the File menu and on the File toolbar. Oxygen provides only the filesystem browser dialogs of the Open action and the Open URL action that allow you to browse through folders on the disk of the local computer / on a remote computer and open one or more selected files.

Regards,
Sorin
tangst

Post by tangst »

sorin wrote: What do you mean by looking at the files without opening them? If you want to look or preview the content of a file in Oxygen you have to open it with the Open action available on the File menu and on the File toolbar. Oxygen provides only the filesystem browser dialogs of the Open action and the Open URL action that allow you to browse through folders on the disk of the local computer / on a remote computer and open one or more selected files.

Regards,
Sorin
Hi Sorin,
Thanks for the reply on adding folders and files. For my needs, I will need Link to External Folders option.

For the File Browser question, I was referring to a view where you can see the contents of the local or remote filesystem that looks like Windows Explorer or Finder. I noticed the base Eclipse IDE and Eclipse-based IDEs like Aptana have this File Browser. It sounds like Oxygen does not have this.

I was looking for this File Browser, because I don't always want to create a project and import/link files. The File->Open filesystem dialog is fine for opening one or two files, but sometimes I want to open more (and not create a project), so having a File Browser would be useful.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

tangst wrote:I was looking for this File Browser, because I don't always want to create a project and import/link files. The File->Open filesystem dialog is fine for opening one or two files, but sometimes I want to open more (and not create a project), so having a File Browser would be useful.
We will consider adding a file browser. Please note that in the Open dialog you can open more than one file at a time by selecting the files in the dialog with Ctrl + Click.

Regards,
Sorin
tangst

Post by tangst »

Hi Sorin,
Thank you for letting me know about the Ctrl+Click (Command+Click) in the file open dialog. I do know about that, so I have a workaround.

I went to the survey and suggested a File Browser Perspective in a future release.
http://www.oxygenxml.com/survey.html

--Stephen