Saxon 9B broken in oXygen 9.2?

Here should go questions about transforming XML with XSLT and FOP.
martindholmes

Saxon 9B broken in oXygen 9.2?

Post by martindholmes »

Since installing oXygen 9.2, I'm having trouble with an XSLT 2.0 stylesheet that was working fine under 9.1. When I try to run a transformation with the stylesheet, I get only the vague error:

Saxon 9B null

When I try to validate the XSLT file, I get this error:

Description: net.sf.saxon.style.XSLVariable.getReferenceList()Ljava/util/List;

which doesn't link to anything in the XSLT itself. It looks like a Java error, rather than a validation problem.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Any ideas how I might go about fixing it, or working around it?

Cheers,
Martin
sorin_ristache

Re: Saxon 9B broken in oXygen 9.2?

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

It seems a Saxon 9 library of an older version remained in the folder where Oxygen version 9.2 was installed. Did you install version 9.2 in the same folder as version 9.1 without uninstalling version 9.1? Please make sure that version 9.2 is installed in a different folder or that version 9.1 is uninstalled first if it is installed in the same folder. The uninstallation of the older version is done automatically by the Windows and Linux installer wizards. On what platform do you run Oxygen?

If you installed in a different folder or the older version was uninstalled before installing version 9.2 please post a sample XSLT 2.0 stylesheet or send it to us for reproducing the problem.

Regards,
Sorin
martindholmes

Post by martindholmes »

I installed 9.2 with the regular Windows installer, on XP (SP3), and it apparently went through the process of uninstalling version 9.1. It did install to the same folder, though (Program Files\oxygen). I have other versions of Saxon on my system, from other tools, but I would expect oXygen to use its own copy.

In my Application Data\com.oxygenxml folder, I see these files:

optionsSa9.0.xml
oxyAuthorOptionsSa9.2.xml
oxyOptionsSa9.2.xml

This seems like at least one more file than ought to be necessary; could any of these be causing the problem? They're all pretty big (550K, 558K, 568K respectively).

I'm happy to delete oxygen and re-install it, but I don't want to lose all my settings (I've been using it since version 6, and I have lots of scenarios and settings I'm used to). How can I make sure that I keep all my settings (not including any that might be causing the Saxon problem, obviously)?

Cheers,
Martin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Can you install Oxygen 9.2 also in a different folder to make sure that there is no file from a previous version in the installation folder? You can keep the first installation of Oxygen 9.2 when you install again in a new folder. Try with this new installation or post sample files or send sample files to us for reproducing the problem.

Regards,
Sorin
martindholmes

Post by martindholmes »

That did it! I installed to a new folder, then deleted the old folder in Program Files.

I think this might indicate that the uninstaller which runs at the beginning of the install process isn't quite cleaning up everything, though, at least if you install to the same location as the last version. I don't like installs which put every point version in a separate folder, so you end up with 7.1, 7.2, 8.0, etc. folders all over your Program Files directory, so I've always installed to the same folder, called "oxygen", to keep things simple. I suspect other people might be doing the same.

Thanks for your help,
Martin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

martindholmes wrote:I don't like installs which put every point version in a separate folder, so you end up with 7.1, 7.2, 8.0, etc. folders all over your Program Files directory, so I've always installed to the same folder, called "oxygen", to keep things simple.
This is why the default location suggested by the installer is the install folder of the previous version and an uninstall action is executed automatically on the previous version.
martindholmes wrote:I think this might indicate that the uninstaller which runs at the beginning of the install process isn't quite cleaning up everything
Did the installer ask you to confirm overwriting any file in the install folder? If not then I think the uninstall step cleaned up the install folder correctly but one of the files created in the install step was not copied correctly to the hard disk. However that never happened in our tests.

Regards,
Sorin
onyqvist

Post by onyqvist »

I've encountered the same problem.

I install each new version in the same directory. In Oxygen 9.2 running Saxon 9B gave the "null" result.

I ran the uninstaller and checked the application folder, it was full of different files and directories. Removed everything manually and then installed Oxygen 9.2 again.

Now it works.

It would seem that the uninstaller doesn't quite remove everything necessary.
(Oxygen 9.2 on Vista Business)

Regards,
Olof
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
onyqvist wrote:It would seem that the uninstaller doesn't quite remove everything necessary.
(Oxygen 9.2 on Vista Business)
Thank you for letting us know. We will check how the uninstaller works on Windows Vista Business.

Regards,
Sorin
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
onyqvist wrote:I ran the uninstaller and checked the application folder, it was full of different files and directories.
We tried to reproduce the problem on two Windows Vista Business computers but the uninstall removed all the installed files. It seems that on your computer the Windows registry was corrupted by some application and the uninstaller cannot find the files that must be removed.

Regards,
Sorin
onyqvist

Post by onyqvist »

Was UAC on or off? When this problem occurred I had UAC turned on.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

UAC was turned on. This is the default and usual state of UAC in Windows Vista and this is what we use in our tests.

Normally when a new version is installed in the folder of an older version the installer uninstalls the old version automatically before installing the new version. If the files of the old version are not removed this signals a Windows registry problem. I suggest installing in a new folder or removing the files of the older version manually before installing the new version if the uninstaller of the old version does not remove them.

Regards,
Sorin