Grid editor enhancements

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
paulcook

Grid editor enhancements

Post by paulcook »

Hi,

Thanks for a great product!

There are two enhancements for the grid XML editor that I'd really like to see:

1) the ability to mix Tree and Grid modes. Currently, you can choose one or the other. However, the XML documents that I'm using have parts that would work well in table mode, and parts that really don't. Would it be possible to intermix them? Either by having the toolbar buttons that change the mode only change the mode of the currently selected elements, or even by adding configuration settings that handle certain XML tags in tree mode, and others in grid mode.

2) In the grid view, the outline, attributes and model sidebars no longer work. While some of this information is in the tooltips, it would still be useful to have it in the sidebar too.

Thanks!
Paul
Radu

Post by Radu »

Dear Paul,

Thanks for the useful suggestions.

For suggestion number 1:
While in table mode we make some checking whether consecutive elements which have the same tag name are alike (and deserve to be shown in a table) or are quite different (and need to be shown as a tree structure) but of course this decision is not 100% correct so the possibility to toggle the appearance of the current element by using a toolbar button seems quite useful.

For suggestion number 2:
The outline, attributes and model views are definitely useful also in Grid mode and there is already an improvement request to make them work also in the Grid page.

I filed a feature request with your wishes for a future version.
Best regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
amix

Post by amix »

I would also like to add, that needing the mouse to edit the grid-view is a turn-off. I did not even find keyboard-shortcuts to use. It's not very intuitive.
Andreas
Radu

Post by Radu »

Dear Andreas,

The Grid already has some easy to use edit shortcuts.
To start editing the currently selected view you can press ENTER or if you want to replace the whole content or the cell is empty just start typing your text.
You can use the Numpad + and - buttons to expand and collapse views while navigating with keyboard shortcuts between them.
Indeed reference to this hardcoded keyboard shortcuts cannot be found in the contextual menu but you can search for "Grid shortcuts" in our Help Dialog available in the Help menu and find more useful shortcuts.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
amix

Post by amix »

Great, thank you for pointing this out.
Andreas