Trash belongs in the trash can

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
rloconne

Trash belongs in the trash can

Post by rloconne »

I just attempted to delete a single file using the Project view. Instead, the file and its parent folder were selected. Oxygen asked me if I wanted to "Delete selected files?" Not realizing what I was deleting, I said yes. And then I said a word that cannot be printed here as oxygen proceeded to delete 3/4 of the project I was working on (including every backup that Oxygen itself had made, since they are saved to that folder as well).

I went to the trash to retrieve my project. It wasn't there. It no longer existed in any form, anywhere. Fortunately, all but one file was saved on the remote server. This is not the case for some of the projects I work on. This "feature" could have wreaked serious havoc instead of just the minor havoc it did wreak. Please change it.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I am sorry but moving files to Recycle Bin / Trash Can when they are deleted is not possible in Java applications. The files are deleted without a possibility to recover them. There is a request for enhancement in the Sun Microsystems database opened in 2004 to add this to the JVM specification but it is still in progress. As you can read there this operation is not just a simple move to the hidden folder Recycle Bin. In oXygen we can enhance the confirmation message that asks you if you are sure you want to delete the files with a warning that you cannot recover the deleted files.

Regards,
Sorin
amix

Post by amix »

Maybe that second dialog should list all the files and folders, that are going to be deleted, so the user "really gets it" ;-) If the list is too long, it could be a wizard-type with pages.
Andreas
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

We noted your suggestion. If the list of files is very long I think the number of files that will be deleted is enough.

Thank you,
Sorin