Windows convenience *.exe files fail on x64

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
debbiep

Windows convenience *.exe files fail on x64

Post by debbiep »

(Of course, there aren't many Windows x64 users out there, yet. Today I became one of them.)

Launching oxygen.exe on XP x64 edition produces the error:
Failed to load Java VM library: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_12\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll (errno = 193).

The same error applies to any of the *.exe files in Oxygen. I'm guessing that it is to do with these files being 32-bit (IA32) versions while the JVM is 64-bit (x64).

Obviously I can run Oxygen directly by launching the JVM on oxygen.jar, as the oxygen.bat file does. But that might not be obvious to all users.

(For the record, 32-bit Java refuses to install on an x64 machine, so that isn't a solution.)

Is it possible to have x64 versions of these convenience *.exe files?

Versions:
Oxygen 8.2
Java JDK 5 update 12
Windows XP x64 SP2
sorin_ristache

Re: Windows convenience *.exe files fail on x64

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,
debbiep wrote:Failed to load Java VM library: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_12\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll (errno = 193).
The error is caused by trying to start a 64-bit Java virtual machine with a 32-bit launcher which is not possible.
debbiep wrote:(For the record, 32-bit Java refuses to install on an x64 machine, so that isn't a solution.)

Windows XP x64 SP2
A 32-bit Java virtual machine can be installed on 64-bit Windows computers and Java applications with 32-bit launchers like oXygen can run in this virtual machine without problems. We do this every day here on a 64-bit Windows XP SP2 computer. Just install a 32-bit JVM and if it is not the default JVM on your computer you have to set it as the JVM that runs oXygen (please read the first note of the Windows installation procedure).

Regards,
Sorin
debbiep

Re: Windows convenience *.exe files fail on x64

Post by debbiep »

sorin wrote:
debbiep wrote:(For the record, 32-bit Java refuses to install on an x64 machine, so that isn't a solution.)
Pilot error . . seems I had a bad IA32 JRE download. It works today. Thanks.