Data Sources forget their passwords?

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
avi4now

Data Sources forget their passwords?

Post by avi4now »

First of all, I'm loving version 8. Really kick-ass!

This is just a minor annoyance: my data sources sometimes seem to have forgotten their passwords. Sometimes I'll launch the app, try to run an XQuery (against Mark Logic), and I'll get a response that says something like E:null. I don't remember how I figured this out, but, at that point all I need to do is open up the data sources pane in the preferences and re-enter the password for the connection, and then it works fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a known issue? Is there a fix, patch, or work-around?

Thanks!
Avi Flax
Arc90
NYC
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

There was a problem with the password when caching the connection to the database in oXygen version 8.0. We fixed it and the fix will be available in version 8.1 which will be released this month.

Regards,
Sorin
avi4now

Post by avi4now »

Great, thanks!
drduan

Can't get DB connection configured for MySQL

Post by drduan »

Hi! I am using version 8.1 and still got the DB password problem when configuring a DB connection for MySQL. The following error message occurs after the configuration:

ERROR: "java.sql.SQLException: Access denied for user 'noaauser'@'localhost' (using password NO)"

Please help!

Thanks!

ND
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Can you post a sequence of steps for getting the error in version 8.1 (define the MySQL connection in Preferences, browse the database in the Database Explorer view / execute a query, etc.)? What is the version of the MySQL driver and the name of the jar file that you use when you define the connection to the MySQL database?

Regards,
Sorin
avi4now

Post by avi4now »

sorin wrote:Hello,

There was a problem with the password when caching the connection to the database in oXygen version 8.0. We fixed it and the fix will be available in version 8.1 which will be released this month.

Regards,
Sorin
I'm still experiencing this problem, even after upgrading to 8.1. Any tips?
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

I cannot reproduce the problem in oXygen 8.1. Can you post the steps for reproducing it?

Regards,
Sorin
avi4now

Post by avi4now »

sorin wrote:Hello,

I cannot reproduce the problem in oXygen 8.1. Can you post the steps for reproducing it?

Regards,
Sorin
OK, when I get a chance, I'll create a new datasource from scratch, and try using it for a few days. I'll report back here about what happens.
Thanks,
Avi
drduan

Post by drduan »

I am using MySQL version 5. I tried both the default MySQL data source (bundled with 8.1) and the one created from scratch with the latest jdbc driver. Neither worked. The sequence is as follows:

1. Open the database configuration wizard
2. Select the default MySQL data source (or create a new one with the latest JDBC driver for MySQL (mysql-connector-java-5.0.4-bin.jar)
3. Create a new connection with the following URL: jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/lportal
4. Enter the user name and password
5. Click the Apply button (or on the connection node on the Connection Explorer window, right click to select the Refresh button)
6. Error msg appears: ERROR: "java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification: Access denied for user 'lruser'@'localhost' (using password: NO)"

Thanks!

ND
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

drduan wrote:6. Error msg appears: ERROR: "java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification: Access denied for user 'lruser'@'localhost' (using password: NO)"
I get this error (using password: NO) in oXygen 8.1 only when the password is empty in the dialog used to configure the MySQL connection in Options -> Preferences -> Data Sources. If I use a non-empty wrong password I get the same error but with using password: YES instead of using password: NO. If I use the correct password the MySQL connection works to browse the database in the Database Explorer view without problems. After closing and opening oXygen again the password is stored correctly in the preferences. I don't know how I can reproduce the error. Can you send us the folder [user-home]/.com.oxygenxml (on Linux)/[user-home]/Application Data/com.oxygenxml (on Windows) which contains your user preferences?

Regards,
Sorin
avi4now

Still happening

Post by avi4now »

This is still happening to me in Oxygen 8.2 Enterprise, on OS X 10.5.1, using Mark Logic datasources. I'd love a resolution on this; it's really annoying, and it's the only thing which mars my experience with Oxygen.
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

In version 9.0 we fixed a bug in storing and reading encrypted passwords in the user preferences when the computer is connected to one network when the database connection is configured and the password is stored and it is connected to a different network (it receives a different IP address) when that connection is used to access the database. Now the encryption and decryption of the password should work correctly even if the computer receives different IP addresses when the database connection is used in oXygen. Did you try with oXygen version 9.0 or version 9.1?

Regards,
Sorin
avi4now

Post by avi4now »

Sorin, no, I'm still using 8.2, and I'm not ready to upgrade to 9.x yet.

If you guys fixed this bug, which I reported over a year ago, in a new version, I'd like to see you release a fix for 8.x as well. I shouldn't have to pay to fix a known bug which is impacting my Oxygen experience.

Any chance of a patch?
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

Are you in the situation of the bug which I described and which also was about some passwords that were not preserved correctly in the preferences? Did you set the database connection details when the computer had an IP address and the password stopped working when you tried to use the connection for communicating with the database after changing the IP address of the computer? Only in this case the bug fix which I described will help you. You can check that with a trial license of oXygen 9.

Regards,
Sorin
avi4now

Post by avi4now »

When you say "the computer" are you referring to the DB server or to my workstation? If the latter, then yes -- my IP changes frequently.

It sounds like this is my bug. It also helps explain why it's been outstanding for so long - you guys worked on it in your "trunk" or 9.0 branch, not in the 8.x branch. (I'm a software developer, if you couldn't tell.)
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

"The computer" means the workstation where you run oXygen.

Regards,
Sorin
avi4now

Post by avi4now »

OK, so, then yes, that is the bug.

Anything you can do to help me out, without me having to pay to upgrade?

Thanks,
Avi
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Please contact us to see how we can fix the problem.

Regards,
Sorin