Is it possible to enable multiple concurrent document dependency check

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
galanohan

Is it possible to enable multiple concurrent document dependency check

Post by galanohan »

Hi,

When I do the document dependency checks over Search References in the context menu, I found the dialog box (a running job) cannot be moved backend. Is there a checkbox that allow users to run multiple document dependency checks at the same time? This could be pretty helpful during the post-migration document bug fix or massive updates over a bunch of cross referenced files.
image.png
image.png (78.96 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Regards,
Galano
Radu

Re: Is it possible to enable multiple concurrent document dependency check

Post by Radu »

Hi Galano,
Thanks for the improvement request, I added an internal issue to consider making the search references action non blocking for a future version.
Pasting the issue ID below for future reference:
EXM-54349 DITA Map Search References -> Run in background
If we manage to implement this in a future version we will let you know by updating this thread.
Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
galanohan

Post by galanohan »

Thank you, Radu!

If this feature could be added to future release, those writers who work on post-migration bug fixes could save lots of time and maximize the usage of memory -- for each document dependency check, the oxygen consumes around 50 - 300 MB each time, depending on the complexity of content structure in bookmap. So with the default memory settings in oxygen, it's possible to have at least 10 + concurrent dependency check jobs running at the same time before hitting the oom error...
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Galano,

I experimented with not showing a dialog at all for the "Search references" action and just showing progress details in the status bar along with a "Stop" button and it seems promising.
We are getting ready to release Oxygen 26.1, so if all goes well probably this improvement might be available in Oxygen 27.
If you want in a couple of days you can download a nightly build of Oxygen 27 and see how that works for you:
https://www.oxygenxml.com/oxygen_beta_p ... ister.html

About this remark:
for each document dependency check, the oxygen consumes around 50 - 300 MB each time
It's quite hard to estimate the minimum amount of memory necessary for a Java application to perform a task. Oxygen may take 300 MBs when performing this task because the memory is available and the Java VM avoids calling the garbage collector too often. But in general there may be transitory objects which are created and then disposed but the total amount of memory the created graph takes should be probably quite small.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
galanohan

Post by galanohan »

Thank you! I'll give it a try!
galanohan

Post by galanohan »

Hi Radu,

I have a quick test with oxygen beta26.1(but it displayed as v27 after installation though) by running 3 concurrent "search references". It works pretty good. And it runs a little bit faster than v26? Or perhaps it's just that I happened to pick three files that were not referenced by other topics. Anyway, thank you for the quick response! This works for me.

Regards,
Galano
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Galano,
Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad this works for you! I just changed the way in which the operation displays the progress, I did not change the speed of the operations. I will try in the following days to change other batch operations as well like "Validate and check for completeness", "Find Replace in Files" or "Spell check in Files" and make them report the progress directly through the status bar.
Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
galanohan

Post by galanohan »

Thank you! Radu, that might help many writers!