Documentation for Extending a DITA Framework Operation?

Post here questions and problems related to oXygen frameworks/document types.
dreifsnider

Documentation for Extending a DITA Framework Operation?

Post by dreifsnider »

Hi,

I was wondering if you have any documentation about extending a default DITA Framework operation, specifically the ro.sync.ecss.extensions.dita.topic.InsertImageOperation?

We would like this operation to insert the <image> element inside of a <fig> element that also contains a <title>, e.g.:

Code: Select all

<fig>
   <title>My Figure</title>
   <image href="my_figure.png/>
</fig
I was able to use the SDK Maven project to create a new operation based on the simple.documentation.framework.operations.InsertImageOperation; however, this operation does not have the same behavior as the ro.sync.ecss.extensions.dita.topic.InsertImageOperation and I would like our new operation to replicate the existing DITA operation as close as possible.

Thank you!

Daniel
Radu

Re: Documentation for Extending a DITA Framework Operation?

Post by Radu »

Hi Daniel,
Is this question for customizing the Oxygen desktop application or the WebAuthor.
The "Insert Image" operation is quite complex, for the Oxygen desktop application it calls non-API code which shows that complex dialog where people can choose the image resource, they can also choose to insert a title if they want to insert a figure. For the WebAuthor there is a more simple dialog implemented with Javascript. Is the dialog in the Oxygen desktop which allows end users to also customize the title closer to what you want?
Can you talk more about your use case? Is that title which needs to be inserted a fixed title? Or does it need to be input by someone? Do you want to always force end users to insert figures although they may insert maybe small image symbols in a paragraph?

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
dreifsnider

Post by dreifsnider »

Hi Radu,

Apologies for my delayed reply as well as my previously ambiguous question.

The question was in regards to Web Author. Our Web Author users have stated that adding in titles for images is cumbersome, as it requires them to first insert a figure element, and then insert a title element before they actually insert the image reference.

However, after talking with our stakeholders and users, we've realized that not every image requires a title, for example, small inline icons as you mention.

Therefore, we were hoping to have a similar insert image dialog in Web Author as in Oxygen Desktop that would let users choose whether or not they want to add in the title as part of adding in the image. However, it sounds that we won't be able to replicate Oxygen Desktop's complex insert image dialog in Web Author so we're now thinking of having two separate toolbar buttons in Web Author: one button to insert an image without a title (the current behavior), and an additional button to insert an image inside of a figure along with an empty title element.

Thank you!

Daniel
cosminef
Site Admin

Post by cosminef »

Hello,

We already have a feature request registered on our tracking system (WA-5014) for this use case.
As soon as this feature becomes available, we will notify you.

Best,
Cosmin
Cosmin Eftenie
www.oxygenxml.com
dreifsnider

Post by dreifsnider »

That's excellent news, thank you Cosmin!