long file names for javascript files

Having trouble installing Oxygen XML WebHelp? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
tjslager

long file names for javascript files

Post by tjslager »

A software build failed because a path + filename in our responsive webhelp was too long.
The file is in this folder: \oxygen-webhelp\app\nav-links\json. Most of the files in this folder are of reasonable length (example: topic_195-d1754e755.js). but a few of them are much longer (example: xd_5e1fb09edcc3f2d0-1301a99c-18d08dc7830--7fa5-d1754e330.js). The long file names caused the software build to fail. These files seem to be related to TOC navigation for topics that were in an embedded ditamap.
Is there a way to shorten or avoid these long file names? This probably isn't the only way to fix our problem, but we want to follow up on this option.
cosmin_andrei

Re: long file names for javascript files

Post by cosmin_andrei »

Hello,
Thank you for your feedback!
Unfortunately there is no mechanism to shorten or avoid these long file names.
I have added your feedback as a feature request to our issue tracking tool to be analyzed by our development team.
Regards,
Cosmin
--
Cosmin Andrei
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
tjslager

Post by tjslager »

Thanks for the quick response. I was afraid of that. We'll pursue alternative approaches to addressing the problem.
Can you confirm that embedded ditamaps are the cause of the long filenames?
Also, the files seem to affect only the expand/collapse arrows in the navigation. Is this correct?
alin
Site Admin

Post by alin »

Hello,

The file name you are referring to is generated by concatenating the associated topic's ID and a random ID. In your case the longest part of the file name is determined by the topic's ID (the bolded part in xd_5e1fb09edcc3f2d0-1301a99c-18d08dc7830--7fa5-d1754e330.js) . The random ID part generated by WebHelp is relatively short (the part after the last dash - d1754e330). In conclusion you can control the length of the name of these files by shortening the topic IDs.

Regards,
Alin
Alin Balasa
Software Developer
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
tjslager

Post by tjslager »

Thank you, Alin, This is helpful. I'm not finding those IDs associated with the files, but I suspect that the CCMS is generating them behind the scenes. We'll look there.
I'll also take this opportunity to say how much I appreciate the Oxygen XML Author software and your support. Both are exceptional.