Illustrator (.ai) image not being converted with webhelp transform

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
horisonten

Illustrator (.ai) image not being converted with webhelp transform

Post by horisonten »

Hello, I have an issue where my .ai image files are not being converted to a format that the browser can actually display when transforming to webhelp. The .ai files are simply copied to the image folder as is, and therefore not showing in the browser since .ai files can't be shown in the browser.

Shouldn't the .ai files be converted to for example a .png (like when transforming to PDF), even when transforming to webhelp?

Perhaps I just misunderstand something or can't find the correct setting to make it happen.
ionela

Re: Illustrator (.ai) image not being converted with webhelp transform

Post by ionela »

Hi,

I'm sorry, but in the current WebHelp implementation this is not possible. The WebHelp transformation does not automatically convert .ai image files to another format that the browser can display when the output is produced. The images should be inserted in the final format to the DITA source files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
xephon

Re: Illustrator (.ai) image not being converted with webhelp transform

Post by xephon »

We convert the files manually to SVG. Illustrator has an integrated script which allows this to be done in a batch Job. Another approach could be, to do this on the fly by using Inkscape and it's CLI, see https://gist.github.com/WebReflection/b ... 311b76835c
This could be adapted and done in the preprocessing. Jarno also integrated Inkscape in his Word plugin, BTW.
stefan-jung.org – Your DITA/DITA-OT XML consultant