Word to DITA conversion failed to insert the resulting map as children of the root map

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
Estelle

Word to DITA conversion failed to insert the resulting map as children of the root map

Post by Estelle »

Word to DITA conversion didn't work as expected.

The user manual shows that
Actions from Append child inserts map nodes as children of the currently selected node.
but in my experience, the resulting map hasn't been inserted as children of the root map.

Anyone runed into the same issue before and how did you fix that?
Radu

Re: Word to DITA conversion failed to insert the resulting map as children of the root map

Post by Radu »

Hi,
Can you give us more details about the steps you tried?
https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/ug-editor ... addon.html
Did you successfully install the Oxygen Batch Documents Converter add-on?
If you go to the Oxygen main menu "Tools->Batch Documents Converter" can you use the Batch documents converter from there?
In the DITA Maps Manager if you right click a topic reference and choose "Append child->Import" can you see there the "Word to DITA" conversion action?

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Estelle

Re: Word to DITA conversion failed to insert the resulting map as children of the root map

Post by Estelle »

Yes, I have successfully installed the Batch Documents Converter add-on and converted the Word document to a DITA map and many topics.
The problem is that after I right clicked the index.ditamap and chose "Append child -> Import ->Word to DITA", the resulting DITA map wasn't inserted as a child node of the index.ditamap but displayed as a separate DITA map in the DITA Maps Manager view after conversion.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Estelle,
This seems to be working for me. Do you get any error reported by Oxygen?
If after the import in the DITA Maps Manager you right click "Append child->Reference" and manually add a reference to that imported DITA Map does it work like that?
Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
Estelle

Post by Estelle »

I got no error messages from Oxygen. After the conversion, the imported DITA Map was open in the DITA Maps Manager automatically. By right clicking "Append child->Reference", I can manually add the reference to that imported DITA Map.
However, it would be better if the imported DITA Map can be inserted automatically as a child node of the index.ditamap after I click "Append child -> Import -> Word to DITA".
Cosmin Duna
Site Admin

Post by Cosmin Duna »

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concern.
I have looked into the issue you described, and it appears to be related to how the resulting DITA Map is handled after conversion. Specifically, the issue occurs because the converted DITA Map automatically opens in the DITA Maps Manager view and then incorrectly attempts to reference itself. I have recorded this issue for further investigation by our team.

To work around this problem for now, you can either uncheck the "Open the converted file" option in the conversion dialog or adjust the behavior for opening DITA maps. This can be done by navigating to the DITA / Maps preferences page and modifying the "When opening a map" setting.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to resolve this issue.

Best regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Duna
<oXygen/> XML Editor