Floating License server User management

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
bartschuller

Floating License server User management

Post by bartschuller »

Hi,
I've successfully set up the license server software on an AWS EC2 machine and when running the software for the first time it creates an admin user and a normal user. Now I'd like to add more normal users, but that functionality is not available when running with a floating license.
So 2 questions:
1) Would you consider changing the license server software to enable user management also with floating licenses?
2) Does anyone know a simple commandline or program to generate hashed passwords in the correct format?

Otherwise I can keep throwing away the configration on my own machine and "run it for the first time" to create some other user/password combinations, but it's a bit cumbersome.

Best regards,
Bart
adrian

Re: Floating License server User management

Post by adrian »

Hello,
Now I'd like to add more normal users, but that functionality is not available when running with a floating license.
By design the standalone license server provides only two users with different roles:
- "Administrator user" - Used for accessing the Oxygen license server administrative interface.
- "Standard user" - Used by an Oxygen application to connect to the license server. All instances of Oxygen use the same standard user credentials. The license server uses other means to determine the actual user account names (client sends that information).

So, adding multiple user accounts to the passwords.properties file is not necessary and not very useful. The license management is done in the web interface, not via the user accounts.

If you want to configure individual logon users for each person using Oxygen, I recommend installing a Tomcat (or similar) Java application server and deploying the Web Application Archive distribution of the Oxygen License Server (separate download). Do note that in this case Tomcat is handling the users, so you'll have to configure the users at Tomcat level by following the Tomcat server documentation.
1) Would you consider changing the license server software to enable user management also with floating licenses?
That's already possible by Configuring a License Server to Only Allow Certain Users
To configure an Allowed Users List:
  1. Create a text file named allowed-users.txt.
  2. Enter the user name for each allowed user on a separate line.
  3. Save the file in the license server work directory. You can go to the license server management page, and under Management Tasks, click the Allowed users list link to open a page where you can see the exact directory where it needs to be stored.
Note that all these users will still be using the "Standard user" credentials (same for all users). The user restriction is enforced by the server after Oxygen logs on with these credentials to the server and communicates to the server the local username.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
bartschuller

Re: Floating License server User management

Post by bartschuller »

Thank you very much, it's making sense now.
In particular, now that I look at the "Current Allocated Licenses" report I notice that the "User Name" column displays the account name of the user that they have on their local machine, as well as their machine name. That should suffice for now to identify them if someone is hogging a license.