Custom Term List not honoured?

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
ckabstein

Custom Term List not honoured?

Post by ckabstein »

Hi,

I have created a custom term list (en_US_customname.tdi) that I have put in a different location than the default Oxygen one in the Users folder - which should be possible from what I've read in the documentation, but maybe I've misread it twice.
If I use the "Learn Word" function in Oxygen, however, instead of adding the word to my custom term list, Oxygen creates a new en_US.tdi file and adds the word in that file.
Is that how it's supposed to work, i.e. must my custom term list have the name "en_US.tdi"?

Thanks and best regards,
Christina
oXygen XML Editor 25.0 build 2023013006
DITA OT 3.7.3
adrian

Re: Custom Term List not honoured?

Post by adrian »

Hi,

That is correct. They may look similar and are implemented using .tdi files, but they are two different things:
  • Custom term lists, en_US_customname.tdi - This is a static file that you can use to contribute with terms (or forbid terms) to the standard dictionary for that language. This is a static extension of that standard dictionary.
  • Learned words - This is a dynamic list that the user can contribute to during editing (use Learn word) to further extend the words from that dictionary. This is a dynamic extension of that standard dictionary.
So, to clarify, learned words and custom term lists are separate, you cannot "learn words" to your custom term list. A custom term list is a static file that you can manually update.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
ckabstein

Post by ckabstein »

Oh, I see!
Thanks, Adrian, for clarifying this.
Best,
Christina
oXygen XML Editor 25.0 build 2023013006
DITA OT 3.7.3
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

This clarification was also useful to me. Thank you Adrian!