Framework Customization: "Show Placeholders for emtpy Elements" does not work.

Post here questions and problems related to oXygen frameworks/document types.
Stevee

Framework Customization: "Show Placeholders for emtpy Elements" does not work.

Post by Stevee »

Hello,

i have the following Issue:
We've created / Customized some XML-Frameworks. The Option "Show Placeholders for emtpy Elements" does not take any effect in this customized Frameworks. Placeholders will not be shown regardless if the above mentioned preference is set to true (checked).

Because this is not an Issue with the Default Frameworks provided by Oxygen, i don't assume that this is a bug, but instead something of my Framework Customization may prevent that this preference works.

Unfortunatley i have no (more) idea what could interfere with this preference. Does anyone have a Hint what could prevent this preference to work?
Could this be an Issue with our CSS-Declarations / Stylesfilters or maybe other mechanics. ?

Greetings Stevee.
Radu

Re: Framework Customization: "Show Placeholders for emtpy Elements" does not work.

Post by Radu »

Hi Stevee,

I created a very simple sample XML file:

Code: Select all

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="topic.css"?>
<root>
    <para>some text<b/></para>
</root>
and test.css:

Code: Select all

* {
    display:block;
}
b{
    display:inline;
}
and the setting seems to work for me when editing the XML file in the Author mode. Can you try the same simple example on your side?
Did you use this specific CSS property somewhere in your custom CSSs?
https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... nsion.html
Because it will override the preferences setting.
Also does that particular empty XML element have some static :before or :after text set on it using the CSS or a custom styles filter? Because the place holder no longer gets shown in this case.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Stevee

Re: Framework Customization: "Show Placeholders for emtpy Elements" does not work.

Post by Stevee »

Hi Radu,

thank you for your reply.
The Example you have posted works on my side.
Thanks to your hints i found the Issue that causes this Problem when using our Custom-Framework.
We have set empty Content to the CSS Pseudoelement :before of every Node.

We make intensive Use of the Stylesfilter and i think this was done because otherwise the Stylesfilter was not callbacked with the :before Pseudo Notes but it seems that this is not an Issue anymore so i can remove that Style from the CSS-Files.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,
Yes, from what I remember our intention about this probably was that when you start setting static text (even empty static text) for the element, you may want to take full control of the placeholder text so we no longer show that.
Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com