Sharing Violation

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
scottbdr

Sharing Violation

Post by scottbdr »

Hi. I've noticed that after I open an Excel archive in the Archive Browser, and then close out the Archive Browser and all files that I may have opened using that view, that Oxygen still has the spreadsheet locked which prevents me from saving the Excel file from Excel. I have to quit Oxygen to make it release the file for writing again. I would be nice if once the Archive Browser and any archive files were closed, that the Excel could be saved again without a sharing violation. Perhaps there is a work around other than quitting Oxygen?

Thanks, Scott
adrian

Re: Sharing Violation

Post by adrian »

Hello,

What version and build of Oxygen are you using (Help > About)?
I have tested with v25.1, build 2023042509.
Oxygen still has the spreadsheet locked which prevents me from saving the Excel file from Excel
I can't comment on Excel, but from what I tested, Oxygen doesn't leave any handles open for the file (not locked) after closing it in the Archive Browser. Perhaps some specific combination of actions in Oxygen might keep it locked, but I was unable to reproduce this situation.
You can check if that is the case with Process Explorer by searching for the file name (can be partial) with “Find” > “Find a Handle or DLL” (Ctrl+F), as described here:
How to Identify which Windows Process is Locking a File or Folder
I was able to find with Process Explorer the file I had open in Oxygen's "Archive Browser". It was no longer found after closing the "Archive Browser". I could also open the file in another app and save it there afterwards. I have not tested this with Excel in specific. I have only tested with LibreOffice as I had that readily available.

If you open the file in Excel after closing it in Oxygen there shouldn't be any issues. Try closing the file from Excel and reopening it, if it was open beforehand.
I don't see this working correctly with the same file open in two applications at the same time. You must close the file in one, before opening it in the other. It might work with some apps if one opens the file strictly for reading, or if the entire file contents is read into memory and the file handle is actually closed.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com