Ability to choose which attributes show in Full Tag views

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
aschultz227

Ability to choose which attributes show in Full Tag views

Post by aschultz227 »

In Oxygen, we have the options to show Full Tags or Full Tags with Attributes in Author View, which is very helpful for quickly seeing profile attributes that have been applied.

It would be great if this presentation could be configured to show commonly used attributes other than just the profiling and href attributes. Especially in the DITA Maps Manager view, it would be useful to quickly see which topicrefs have attributes like chunk and collection-type configured (without having to right-click and look at the properties).
Radu

Re: Ability to choose which attributes show in Full Tag views

Post by Radu »

Hi,

The original intent of the DITA Maps Manger was for it to be compact, to fit in a small width so that it can be displayed side by side with the main editor.
So we kind of opted for presenting the topic title and also defined keys, profiling attributes.
Some other attributes like processing-role=resource-only we represent from what I remember with some special icon decorations and when hovering over topics.
About representing for example chunk or collection-type, I assume you would want these represented also when they are inherited values, so not on the topicref which has the chunk but maybe as an inherited value on a child topicref?
Would showing such values as tooltips help?
We also have APIs which would allow an Oxygen plugin implemented in Java or Javascript to take control over what to present in the DITA Maps Manager view:
https://github.com/oxygenxml/wsaccess-j ... esAndIcons

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
aschultz227

Post by aschultz227 »

Radu,
Thank you for the quick reply.

1. I looked in the Oxygen help, and in the DITA Maps Manager page (mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\Oxygen%20XML%20Author%2022\help.chm::/topics/dita-maps-manager.html) there was a lot of information, but nothing about the "special icon decorations" you mentioned. I searched for tooltips as well, but nothing I found pertained to the Maps Manager. Please advise how I can see these icons.

2. For attributes like chunk or collection-type, which are intended to be configured at a parent level, I don't think we need to see the information inherited on the child. Where our team has been struggling is when we have set these values on previous projects, by the time we make updates on them again, either or team members have changed or too much time has passed for us to remember that we set the values. So when the content behaves differently in our outputs, it takes us time to figure out that these values are set, since there is nothing obvious to point it out in the GUI unless we knowingly right-click on the parent topicref and look at the Properties.

3. Thank you for the information about the Java plug-ins, but I am not a programmer, or the administrator of our system, so I do not have the rights to use something like that.

Regards,
Andrea
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hello Andrea,

Please see some remarks below:
1. I looked in the Oxygen help, and in the DITA Maps Manager page (mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\Oxygen%20XML%20Author%2022\help.chm::/topics/dita-maps-manager.html) there was a lot of information, but nothing about the "special icon decorations" you mentioned. I searched for tooltips as well, but nothing I found pertained to the Maps Manager. Please advise how I can see these icons.
We do not have complete documentation about what icon decorations are used for what situations.
For example if the topicref has processing-role=resource-only, we show a small gray bubble as a decoration on its icon and we also present this information on the tooltip. But we do not do the same for other attributes like "chunk" or "collection-type".
Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 08.29.38.png
Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 08.29.38.png (41.59 KiB) Viewed 849 times
2. For attributes like chunk or collection-type, which are intended to be configured at a parent level, I don't think we need to see the information inherited on the child. Where our team has been struggling is when we have set these values on previous projects, by the time we make updates on them again, either or team members have changed or too much time has passed for us to remember that we set the values. So when the content behaves differently in our outputs, it takes us time to figure out that these values are set, since there is nothing obvious to point it out in the GUI unless we knowingly right-click on the parent topicref and look at the Properties.
Thanks for elaborating on this. We have an internal issue opened for this (pasting its ID for future reference below) and I added your contact details to it:
EXM-34105 DITA Maps Manager - show all topicref attributes
My general idea would be that in the DITA Maps Manager view there is a "Settings" drop down button, maybe we could add in the future there another setting like "Show all attributes", disabled by default but maybe people could check it if they want to see all attributes on the topicrefs.
If we manage to make this improvement in a future version we will let you know.
3. Thank you for the information about the Java plug-ins, but I am not a programmer, or the administrator of our system, so I do not have the rights to use something like that.
I understand, no worries.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
aschultz227

Post by aschultz227 »

Radu,
Thank you very much for all your prompt help and responses. One last question: For item 1, does the gray bubble only appear if the processing-role is set? Or should it also appear if I have profiling attributes set?
Thank you,
Andrea
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Andrea,
For profiling attributes set on topicrefs we have other decorators, a small square which appears after the topicref icon, depending on the fact that a topicref has profiling attributes on it, inherits profiling attributes or a combination of both.
Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 07.21.34.png
Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 07.21.34.png (27.93 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
aschultz227

Post by aschultz227 »

Radu,

Thank you for the additional information. In the Preferences: Editor/Edit Modes/Author/Profiling/Conditional Text/Attributes Rendering screen, we select "Show profiling attributes," so I don't think we've ever made the connection between profiling and those square indicators. That is good to know!

Regarding the gray bubbles, is that something that is specific to Oxygen version? My teammates and I use Oxygen 22.1, and we don't see the gray bubble when the processing-role attribute is set to resource-only (see attached screen shot).

Regards,
Andrea
Resource-only.png
Resource-only.png (51.98 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Right, the gray bubble is a more recent addition, probably around Oxygen 24 or 25.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor