Text formatted as columns

Having trouble deploying Oxygen XML Web Author? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
TMiles

Text formatted as columns

Post by TMiles »

I have so far failed in my attempt to format freely flowing text (not contained within a table structure) as multiple columns, like in a newspaper, so that it is easier to view in Author mode.

Is this supported by the current version of Oxygen XML Editor?

Below is a simplified version of the XML document and the associated CSS:

Code: Select all

<article>
    <p>In reply to this objection, it may be observed, in vindication of the unenfranchised
        operatives of this country, that they have constantly before their eyes a most encouraging
        and magnificent demonstration of power of union and organization to benefit a class.</p>
    <p>What, sir, is the whole British aristocracy, with its splendid possessions, its gorgeous
        dwelling, its proud privileges, its enormous social and political influence, but a living
        and irrefragable proof of the capacity of human beings to improve their circumstances and
        condition by means of combinations?</p>
    <p>By the efficiency of their combination the nobles of this country, with the monarch at their
        head, have made themselves owners of the land of the British isles, and reduced the rest of
        the community – that is, nineteen twentieths of the entire population – to a sate of
        servitude and dependency upon their power. </p>
</article> 

article {
    display: block;
    column-count: 3;
    column-width: 300px;
}
p {break-after: column;}
Cosmin Duna
Site Admin

Re: Text formatted as columns

Post by Cosmin Duna »

Hi,
The "column-count" property is not supported in the Author page of Oxygen XML Editor. I added your feedback on an already registered issue for increasing its priority.
A workaround for this would be to wrap the article into an element, and to use "display: table". Something like this:

div {
display: table; 
}

div > article {
display: table-row; 
}
article > p {
display: table-cell;
}
Best regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Duna
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
TMiles

Re: Text formatted as columns

Post by TMiles »

Thanks, Cosmin — that helps enormously for the project I am working on.