DITA Open toolkit 4.0

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
IsleofGough

DITA Open toolkit 4.0

Post by IsleofGough »

I notice that Oxygen is using Open toolkit 3.0.

I downloaded the DITA Open toolkit 4.0 and placed its folder in the "oxygen XML editor/frameworks/dita" folder. I set a global configure transform to use this folder rather than the open toolkit 3.0 folder. I ran the DITA-ot integrator and restarted Oxygen.

When I try to use this, I get lots of errors.

Is there a way of making Oxygen work correctly with Open toolkit 4.0?
Radu

Re: DITA Open toolkit 4.0

Post by Radu »

Hi,

We have not yet tested running DITA OT 4.0 from Oxygen, because it depends on Java 17 and newer and we still support Java 11 we might postpone integrating it with Oxygen 25.1 (Spring next year) and instead integrate it with Oxygen 26 (Autumn next year), but a final decision has not been taken.
About the steps you made until now:
I downloaded the DITA Open toolkit 4.0 and placed its folder in the "oxygen XML editor/frameworks/dita" folder.
You should avoid making changes to the Oxygen installation folder, you might lose them when upgrading Oxygen. Instead, just copy the DITA OT 4.0 to a separate folder in your user home or your Documents folder for example.
I set a global configure transform to use this folder rather than the open toolkit 3.0 folder. I ran the DITA-ot integrator and restarted Oxygen.
The recommended procedure is to open the Oxygen Preferences->"DITA" page and change your default DITA OT installation folder to point to the DITA OT 4.0 folder. This should make all your already defined transformation scenarios run with it.
Running the "DITA OT Integrator" runs it on the default DITA OT set up in the Preferences->DITA folder so it probably had no effect in your case. Also it's necessary when installing a new plugin in the DITA OT, not when changing DITA OT folders.
When I try to use this, I get lots of errors.
To what output format are you publishing? Could you share one of those errors with us?
The DITA OT 3.x bundled with Oxygen has lots of Oxygen specific plugins in it, plugins which provide WebHelp publishing, PDF-CSS based publishing. A DITA OT downloaded from the DITA OT web site does not contain such plugins. Did you attempt to manually add them to the DITA OT and see if they worked?

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
IsleofGough

Post by IsleofGough »

Thank you for your response, Radu. It sounds like it would be best to just wait until your update Oxygen and Java support.

I saw that one can redirect from one DITA-OT to another either through preferences or with an explicit statement in the custom transform to use the other one. I didn't want to change the preferences in case it didn't work.

I ran the integrator as I was attempting to create a custom DITA to pdf plugin as outlined in "DITA for Print" book, and I wanted to try to use the newest OT. Unfortunately, the book is out of date and uses an older DITA-OT than Oxygen is currently using.

I did not attempt to manually add any plugins from the current OT to version 4, so that was likely the issue. The DITA to pdf transform using FO worked fine. It was the DITA to pdf using HTML/CSS that aborted. The error message I got was: "pdf-css-html5" is not a recognized transformation type. Supported transformation types are dita, eclipsehelp, html5, htmlhelp, markdown, markdown_gitbook, markdown_github, pdf, pdf2, xhtml."
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Right, the PDF (CSS based) publishing did not work because it's an Oxygen specific plugin and was not installed in DITA OT 4.0.
You could have attempted to copy and install all "com.oxygenxml.*" plugins from Oxygen's "DITA-OT3.x/plugins" folder to the DITA OT 4.0 "plugins" folder but there is no telling if they work or not with DITA OT 4.0 as we have not tested them.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
julien_lacour

Post by julien_lacour »

Hello everyone,

Oxygen 26.0 is out! This version uses Oxygen Publishing Engine based on DITA-OT to 4.x.

Regards,
Julien