Differences between topicref display in Map Editor and Author Mode

Oxygen general issues.
craigcharlie

Differences between topicref display in Map Editor and Author Mode

Post by craigcharlie »

Hi team,
I'm seeing a difference in how topicrefs are displayed and refreshed in Map Editor vs. Author Mode.
I'll provide two screenshots generated from the same content, showing the difference when I switch from Map Editor to Author Mode. Note that the map in question is opened from the Tridion Docs CMS, and contains either outdated or missing values for the topicref navtitle attributes - this is a common use case across our content.

Map Editor:
InstallationInMapEditor.png
InstallationInMapEditor.png (10.01 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Note, when the map is open in Map Editor, and I edit and save a topic referenced by the map, clicking "Refresh References" in the Map Editor updates the displayed title with the latest change. This is the expected behavior I'm looking for.

Author Mode:
InstallationInXMLeditor.png
InstallationInXMLeditor.png (32.82 KiB) Viewed 735 times
My expectation is that in Author Mode, that the navtitle attributes should be updated from the actual topic titles. Also, I would expect that "DITA > Refresh References" would populate the navtitle attributes with the actual topic titles. Can you let me know if it's possible to achieve this?

thanks,
Charlie
Radu

Re: Differences between topicref display in Map Editor and Author Mode

Post by Radu »

Hi Charlie,

Indeed the DITA Maps Manager processes each topic reference and presents directly the title from each of the referenced topic.
About your questions:
My expectation is that in Author Mode, that the navtitle attributes should be updated from the actual topic titles.
Also, I would expect that "DITA > Refresh References" would populate the navtitle attributes with the actual topic titles.
We do not do that, we consider that keeping navtitle information in the DITA Map similar to the titles in the topics is redundant information.
After you open a DITA map in the Author visual editing mode, there is a "Styles" drop down toolbar button. It has a "Show topic titles" CSS layer which can be checked and the title for each topicref will be automatically computed and displayed from the referenced topic title. But this may take some time for large maps.

The only navtitle-related setting we have in Oxygen is in the Preferences->"DITA / Maps" page in the "Inserting topic references" section, you have the choice to automatically insert a navtitle when a new topicref is inserted. We do this for compatibility with third party systems which may use the navtitle in the DITA Map for various cases.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
craigcharlie

Post by craigcharlie »

Hi Radu,
Thanks again for the quick reply!
The "Show topic titles" CSS layer is great to know about, thank you.
If our authors can see the titles visually while working in either MapEditor/Author modes, I think that will meet our use case. I think for now I can forget about the refactoring operation not processing the msg topics (per my comments in another thread) - I'm pretty sure the navtitle atts are irrelevant for all our processing/transformations.
Btw, I was already using the navtitle setting in "Inserting topic references", but thank you for mentioning that also.
thanks,
Charlie
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Charlie,
Great, I'm glad this seems to cover your use cases.
Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
gaurav_maindola

Post by gaurav_maindola »

Hello Radu!

I didn't know how to tag you, that's why adding the query here only.
I have one compatibility query:
Compatibility: Will DITA files created in Oxygen Author or Editor v16.1 open in the latest v25?
Please let me know if this is possible, thanks!

Thanks and Regards,
Gaurav
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Gaurav,
Sure, it's the same standard.
Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor