html embedded in xml solution!? output to xsl-fo

Here should go questions about transforming XML with XSLT and FOP.
xml_love_child_2007

html embedded in xml solution!? output to xsl-fo

Post by xml_love_child_2007 »

so i have this bit of xml

<people>
<females> <h3>Jane<p>Clare</p> Mirna </h3> </females>
</people

and I want to extract the text and apply templates to the "h3" and "p" tags, that is i would like to replace the h3 tags with <fo:inline> elements and p with <fo:block>

Now I know that there is a saxon:parse() function but that will only work with well formed xml documents. I need to be able to generate a result tree frag or a nodeset?

Not sure about all of this, if anyone knows a goog tut then I would be very grateful, I must say that this forum is way more tech savy than stylus studio nobs
xml_love_child_2007

Post by xml_love_child_2007 »

i figured out this basic example

now does anyone know how to make sure that the xml is well formed?

I have a complex piece of html the is embedded in the xml and when i try to apply the transformation scenario, it falls over and says that the document is not well formed,

fix one problem create 2 more doh!

any ideas!?
george
Site Admin

Post by george »

Hi,

If a document is not wellformed then it is actually not XML. You need to make sure you place XML content in the element whose text content you enter in the parse function otherwise you will get an error as you described.

One way to check manually that the content is wellformed is to use select the escaped value and use the Source->Unescape selection action from the oXygen contextual menu (right click on Windows, CTRL+Click on Mac), then perform a wellformed check in oXygen.

Best Regards,
George
George Cristian Bina