How to troubleshoot "Unresolved ID reference" error?

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
tanja

How to troubleshoot "Unresolved ID reference" error?

Post by tanja »

Hi all,

I am creating PDF files using Oxygen XML Editor 22.1 and a publishing template with a customized version of the 'DITA Map PDF - based on HTML & CSS' transformation scenario. When creating a PDF file, I receive the following warning:

Code: Select all

"Destination: Unresolved ID reference "AG135_d7e61a1035" found.
"AG135" is the ID of my product. I set it in the topicmeta of my map as the value of the id attribute of the prodname element:

<prodname id="AG135">Troubleshooting</prodname>
So I am pretty sure this ID is not referenced anywhere else. How can there be an unresolved reference?

I tried troubleshooting this issue following the solution for a broken link, https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... a-pdf.html, but even after setting the clean.temp parameter to no, my temp folder does not contain a topic.fo file. And the retain.topic.fo parameter is not available in my parameter list, so the solution stated in this topic also does not work : https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... l=topic.fo

Do you have any ideas how I can tackle this issue? It's only version 22 that is causing the issue, versions 21 and 20 do not show the warnings.

Thanks, Tanja
julien_lacour

Re: How to troubleshoot "Unresolved ID reference" error?

Post by julien_lacour »

Hello,

This issue is already fixed in Oxygen 23.0 (which release is really soon).
Anyway, you can still generate your outputs even with this warning, it is not problematic for the PDF.

The problem was due to the existence of IDs on hidden elements (the <prodname> is set with display: none in the PDF).
All these IDs are converted to named-destinations in the final output but in Oxygen 23.0 if the containing element is not displayed, the named-destination is not generated and the warning disappear.

You did not see this issue on older version because the Result view is available since Oxygen 22. Before that the warning was still present but only displayed in the console output of the transformation (hidden by default - shown when errors only).

Thank you for your report.

Regards,
Julien
tanja

Post by tanja »

Hello Julien,

Thanks for the quick reply and the explanation as to where the error comes from.

You are correct, my PDF looks fine. I was just wondering if I set up my map incorrectly.
As this is not the case, I will happily ignore the warning and wait for Oxygen 23.0 :)

Regards,
Tanja
Stacey

Post by Stacey »

I am having the same issue with PDF output using 24.1. Was the oXygen 23 fix reverted? Or could something else be causing the message(s) to appear?

Thanks!
Sammy2022

Post by Sammy2022 »

Hello,
I get the same error message " W [DITA-OT] Page iii: Unresolved ID reference "unique_85" found. The page number vary. I try to create a pdf with a customized Dita map PDF- based on html5 and css" scenario in Oxygen 24.1.
Unfortunately, the pdf output is missing a lot of content. (Other ditamaps work fine with the same scenario).
Any hints on what to do ?
Thanks,
Sammy
julien_lacour

Post by julien_lacour »

Hello,

This message may have different causes, sometimes it's enough to set the fix.external.refs.com.oxygenxml parameter to true in order to fix the warning.
If this still not correct this behavior, you can still email us a small sample where the problem occur at support@oxygenxml.com.

Regards,
Julien
IsleofGough

Post by IsleofGough »

I'm having the same issue with a warning unresolved ID reference. None of the files fails validation and the only reference to this is in the generated "fo" file. I can't find a fix but the pdf seems to generate without problems.
julien_lacour

Post by julien_lacour »

Hello,

As mentioned in my previous messages, this warning may have multiple cause and the only way to analyze this cause is to send us a small sample at support@oxygenxml.com. In most of the cases this warning doesn't affect the PDF output.

Regards,
Julien
IsleofGough

Post by IsleofGough »

Thank you, Julien, for identifying and solving the issue. In my case, it was because the custom CSS hid the title and subtitle from the title page (since I had an image with these already). Julien's fix was to add the lines:

*[class ~= "front-page/front-page-title"] > *[class ~= "bookmap/booktitle"] > *[class ~= "bookmap/mainbooktitle"] {
    bookmark-level: unset;  
}
He also mentioned that my bookmap referenced topics by absolute path rather than relative paths and said that could cause errors. The support from Oxygen is top rate. Moving from MadCap Flare to Oxygen is like a breath of fresh air.