epub3.0 not compliant to ACE test : 3.1 with accessibility1.0 is needed

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
gerard.vidal

epub3.0 not compliant to ACE test : 3.1 with accessibility1.0 is needed

Post by gerard.vidal »

Hi oXygen team,
I am enjoying oXygen but I am facing problems for accessibility compliance. We are using oXygen for teaching and we push on our students to build accessible resources. We work in Docbook then convert into epub. Unfortunately oXygen provides version 3.0 and not 3.1 and it seems that it does not comply with accessibility standard.
Our expert told us alo that Daisy formats were deprecated and that now they were fully integrated in epubs; they can probably be removed if accessibility epub3 compliant model is provided. It seems olso that the work on XSLT2s sponsored by O'Reilly has been discontinued and that the new project xslTNG does not provide Docbook -> epub3 transform. As the transformation provides HTML5 there is a small step remaining but it is not any more straight forward process and this supports migration to epub3.1 +accessibility 1.0. Last evidence is the fact that those standards are out since the beginning of 2017 which makes enough testing time :wink: .
Can you please schedule an evolution towards epub3.1+accessibility as soon as possible, and if you can provide an xslTNG extension that helps the transformation between dovbook and epub3 that should be very coool 8) . epub3 is one of the rare open and widespread format that facilitate the life of disabled people, help to keep it functional.
Thanks in advance.
Radu

Re: epub3.0 not compliant to ACE test : 3.1 with accessibility1.0 is needed

Post by Radu »

Hi Gerard,
Sorry for the delay, we somehow were not notified via email on your post.
We (the Oxygen XML Editor developers) do not control the future improvement directions of the DocBook community. Also our main improvements direction for editing and publishing is the DITA XML standard.
I see you have already opened an issue on the xsltNG project:
https://github.com/docbook/xslTNG/issues/131
The step from HTML5 output to EPUB is not that small.
I will also add an internal issue on our side based on your request but I cannot give you a timeline for it.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
gerard.vidal

Re: epub3.0 not compliant to ACE test : 3.1 with accessibility1.0 is needed

Post by gerard.vidal »

Hi Radu,
Thanks for your work and integration of enhancements to create a link with eXist database.
This feature request is outdated and should be closed or erased as it did not met a sufficient support. I do not give up the topic and I'll post a new feature request that will superseed this one.