Find Direction

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
scottbdr

Find Direction

Post by scottbdr »

Maybe it's just me, but I'd really like to see your Find/Replace have a "Wrap" option where the Direction is not just Forward or Backwards, it's forwards and will always continue at the top once you reach the end of the document. The problem I have is that often, if I have the direction set incorrectly I get the bell (i.e. nothing found) when there is really something in the document. I've been conditioned now to execute the find twice now: once in the direction set when I opened the dialog, and if nothing found, change the direction and try again. Would like it if I click find, it will ALWAYS return a result if the searched for term in in the document.

Thanks, Scott
xephon

Re: Find Direction

Post by xephon »

+1
stefan-jung.org – Your DITA/DITA-OT XML consultant
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

I'm afraid I do not understand why the "Wrap around" checkbox in the Find/Replace dialog is not enough for this use case.
Maybe you can give me a more detailed example.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
scottbdr

Post by scottbdr »

Actually, looking at this again it seems that when I try it searching and XML document it works as required - basically when the search reaches the bottom of the document it "wraps around" or starts back at the top so the entire document is ALWAYS searched before a 'not found' result is given. So if you have your cursor on say line 100, and the only instance of the term is on line 50, and you are set with "Forward", you will still find the term.

What's odd is that I'm absolutely positive I was not getting this result at the time, which prompted my request. I would get the bell for 'not found' unless I reversed the direction of the search. But trying in an XML document today, I'm not getting that result... :? Perhaps it only happens in certain contexts so I will get back to you if I notice it again. Thanks for the reply.
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Thanks for the update. If at some point you have a precise example and steps to reproduce the problem we can look further into this.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com