Looking for a task-management tool for Oxygen

Questions about XML that are not covered by the other forums should go here.
menkalos

Looking for a task-management tool for Oxygen

Post by menkalos »

I'd like to track the to-do tasks I have yet to complete in a complete XML guide that's made up of docbook XML topics. I don't want to store the list of tasks in yet another tool. I'm also not interested in just adding comments on each page, because then I have to visit each and every page to know if I'm done or not. I'd like a "window" that shows the list of tasks for the current guide, grouped by topic, with each topic's tasks front-and-center when I open that topic in an editor window.

Is there such a thing?

Thanks!
Radu

Re: Looking for a task-management tool for Oxygen

Post by Radu »

Hi,

This is interesting but I'm afraid we do not have such a feature. I suppose for collaboration with others the tasks would need to be stored on some kind of server, maybe what you need is some kind of CMS (Content Management System) which provides the storage and workflow parts.
Also sometimes a TODO task may not be connected to a topic, for example if you have a task to add a new topic, that topic does not yet exist on disk.
For our internal documentation we use Atlassian JIRA for ticketing but JIRA tickets cannot be accessed directly from Oxygen, I suppose an Oxygen add-on could be implemented to access tickets from a third party ticketing system.

About adding comments to each topic and keeping track of this, this would need some kind of TODO list collected from all topics, right?
So if for example you have XML documents with comments like this: <!-- TODO help --> you could maybe use our XPath toolbar with an expression like this //comment()[contains(.,'TODO')] and change its scope to search in the entire project.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com