Oxygen 24, validation overheating MAC

Oxygen general issues.
bernardusgui

Oxygen 24, validation overheating MAC

Post by bernardusgui »

Hi

This problem concerns what I notice as a certain over-heating of my MacBook Air while using Oxygen 24. I believe it's related to continuous validation routines in Oxygen?

Environment:
MacBook Air (1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5)
MacOs Catalina 10.15.7
Oxygen XML Editor 24.0, build 2021101506

I am constructing and editing a very large corpus: there are currently over 4000 TEI XML files involved and growing, stored in eXist-db 5.3. These files are well interconnected via xincludes. The architecture looks like this: about 3980 files use xincludes to include the master lists of people, places, taxonomies. Those master lists themselves have nearly 10,000 referencable entries (ie using @xml:id).

The master lists are important to my editing process as at any given moment I may need to make reference (via pointer) to a person, place, category, etc.

As I understand it, when I am working on a TEI file that references these included files, Oxygen goes through and validates not just the file I'm currently working on but also all the massive files referenced in xincludes. The consequence however is that frequently while editing my Mac heats up and I see in the activity monitor the % CPU is running 110-120% for Oxygen.

This never happens on simple files.

So, I'm wondering if there is a configuration possible where Oxygen allows the file being edited to use the xincludes for purposes of pointers, but does not validate those included files on a constant basis?

I'm also open to other solutions to avoid the use of xincludes entirely. I use them as a convenient way to access @xml:ids for purposes of editing, but other than that the xincludes serve no purpose for my project files.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Radu

Re: Oxygen 24, validation overheating MAC

Post by Radu »

Hi,

Indeed Oxygen's automatic validation usually takes place whenever you change content in the XML document, and it does follow xi:includes.
And this automatic validation also gathers defined IDs which are later proposed to you when adding links.
How about if you disable automatic validation completely from the Preferences->"Editor / Document Validation" page?
Content completion will still work, you can use manual validation (from the toolbar) from time to time to validate and also gather IDs. Maybe you can assign a keyboard shortcut to the validation action and invoke that less often.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com