Oxygen Auhtor (Eclipse Version) and Java 11

Oxygen general issues.
SNO

Oxygen Auhtor (Eclipse Version) and Java 11

Post by SNO »

Hi,

we're using the Oxygen XML-Author (com.oxygenxml.author) Plugin in our Eclipse-RCP Application.

Since were migrating our Application Code to Java-SE 11, we run into troubles because the oxygen.xml.author Plugin has jars on it's bundle Classpath which export packages that already exists in the JRE 11-Librarys.
(Namly the xml-apis.jar export packages that are exported by java11 in the java.xml module)

Because we use imports of java.xml in a Plugin that depends on the oxygen.xmlauthor Plugin the packages cannot be resolved because they exist in more than one module

Eclipse Error Message:

Code: Select all

The package javax.xml.transform.sax is accessible from more than one module: <unnamed>, java.xml
Could you give us advice how to fix or workaround this issue?

Best Regards
Stefan
Stefan Nöbauer
Senior Solution Architect
KGU-Consulting GmbH
Radu

Re: Oxygen Auhtor (Eclipse Version) and Java 11

Post by Radu »

Hi Stefan,

We still build our Eclipse plugin using Java 1.8 and when installed in Eclipse it is compatible with both Java 1.8 and 9+.
So in the Oxygen plugin's "MANIFEST.MF" indeed we have in the "Bundle-ClassPath" a reference to our own "xml-apis.jar" located in the Oxygen "lib" folder.
I don't know what to advice you, I think this is more or a compilation problem than a runtime problem. Maybe you can modify the Oxygen plugin and remove from its MANIFEST.MF its reference to the xml-apis.jar to bypass the compilation problem. I'll add an internal issue on our side to try the same thing and see maybe in the future avoid distributing the xml-apis.jar completely if it's identical to the one in the Java JRE libraries list.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
SNO

Post by SNO »

Hi Radu,

thanks, we modified the classpath and we will see.

Regards
Stefan
Stefan Nöbauer
Senior Solution Architect
KGU-Consulting GmbH
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Stefan,

Ok, I'll also look on our side if we can completely remove that jar library.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi Stefan,

As an update, we cannot remove the xml-apis.jar library yet from the Oxygen Eclipse plugin.
When the plugin is run with java 8, Java 8 does not contain a certain class "org.w3c.dom.ElementTraversal" breaking our XML processing. For newer Java versions the jar is no longer necessary.
So to remove the JAR we would need to have probably two plugin flavors (one for java 8 and one for newer Java).
We'll reconsider this when we completely give up Java 8.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor