SEEKING a Service - Oxygen DITA XML to PDF oOnversion Training & Implementation

Post here offers for services. Please include a detailed description of what you can do in the XML related field and eventually add references to already developed projects.
mjpatterson

SEEKING a Service - Oxygen DITA XML to PDF oOnversion Training & Implementation

Post by mjpatterson »

Hi everyone!
I am new to Oxygen Editor and I need to take the work we have in Word ( .docx) and translate it into DITA XML from which we can pull HTML5 and pdf docs.
I am really struggling to find support I can buy in to get me started.
I did find the add-in and have imported my User Guide to XML - but now I have to get it to render to pdf. Not so Easy!!!!
Does anyone out there offer teaching/coachong/rendering support?
Please respond here or email me at Mj.Patterson@AnalyzeRe.com
Thanks! :
julien_lacour

Re: SEEKING a Service - Oxygen DITA XML to PDF oOnversion Training & Implementation

Post by julien_lacour »

Hello,

I suggest you to do the following things:
  1. First, you can check here how to migrate from Word to DITA.
  2. Once all the content is converted to DITA, you may need to create a ditamap (or bookmap) file: this file is used to create a hierarchy
  3. Now you have to arrange your DITA topics in the map structure to make it look like your final output, you can use Oxygen's DITA Maps Manager for that.
  4. After creating and arranging your DITA topics, with the map opened into the DITA Maps Manager, you should be able to open the transformation scenario dialog and transform your output using the DITA Map PDF - based on HTML5 & CSS transformation.
Do not hesitate to answer here with any problem you may encounter.

Regards,
Julien
mjpatterson

Re: SEEKING a Service - Oxygen DITA XML to PDF oOnversion Training & Implementation

Post by mjpatterson »

Hi Julien,
Thank you so much for responding.
As I posted above is did already find that link and it did auto-import my word doc to dita. Yay.
MY frustration is in getting it to render to any kind of pdf. It keeps failing and as a new user I have no idea why.
I want to hire someone to sit with me and coach me through it which is why I posted here.
Cosmin Duna
Site Admin

Post by Cosmin Duna »

Hi,

Did you use the Batch Documents Converter add-on for converting to DITA? What version of the add-on did you use? You can see the version invoking the "Help> Manage add-ons..." action.
Can you open the converted map in the DITA Maps Manager view and apply "DITA Map Completeness Check" from the action on the toolbar? Does this check reports any errors?
When the DITA Map PDF - based on HTML5 & CSS transformation scenario fails, we will have 2 tabs opened ( "DITA-OT [DITA Map PDF- based on HTML5 & CSS]" and "Tranformation problems") in Results view, can you send us the content from these?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Duna
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Cosmin Duna
Site Admin

Post by Cosmin Duna »

Did you use custom styles in your Word document? The Word to DITA conversion works best if you only use the default MS Word styles to semantically mark up your document.

Also, a word document sample would be useful. Can you send one to our support email address: support@oxygenxml.com?
If it contains confidential data, you can hide the text content doing the following steps:
  • Make a copy of the document and open it in the "Archive Browser" view from Oxygen
  • Open the "word/document.xml" file into the main editor.
  • Invoke the Help > Support Tools > Randomize XML text content action and click Finish in the opened dialog.
Cosmin Duna
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com