Custom Spellcheck in Content Fusion

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
jmorales

Custom Spellcheck in Content Fusion

Post by jmorales »

Hi, We're using Content Fusion 3.0. I notice that it flags a lot of words as misspelled, and I'd like to add them to a personal dictionary. However, from looking at https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... term_lists, it looks like the only custom dictionary resides on the server, is shared by all users, and is controlled by the administrator. I understand that Content Fusion is a server-based product, but it would be great if you could support custom dictionaries for each user. It seems like this should be doable either on the client side via cookies or on the server side as part of the account information for each user. Thanks for considering this suggestion.
cristi_talau

Re: Custom Spellcheck in Content Fusion

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,

We consider that dictionaries should be shared between users. For example, when creating a review task, all the reviewers should see the correct words marked as errors. That being said, I can acknowledge two problems with having global terms:
  • Different review tasks may come from different projects and have different sets of words.
  • Users cannot easily mark a word as learned.
Do you also happen to have one of these problems? If not, and you would like to request a feature to support "private" dictionaries I would be interested to learn more about your use-case.

That being said, we have an API to set a different terms dictionary for each opened document [1]. We also offer an open-source plugin [2] that uses this API to load the list of terms from a file stored on the server and let any user save a word to this list.

Best,
Cristian

[1] https://www.oxygenxml.com/InstData/Edit ... ictionary-
[2] https://github.com/oxygenxml/web-author ... nsion.java
jmorales

Post by jmorales »

Hi Cristian,
Thanks for your response. We document a lot of different products in our department, so the various writers work on different documents that refer to different product names and keywords. We have hundreds of documents and over 30,000 topics. To maintain a centralized list of accepted terms would require too much in the way of coordination and approvals. On the other hand, having a different terms dictionary for each opened document is the other extreme. The documents that I work on personally are closely related and have a lot of overlap in the terms they use. With a separate dictionary for each document, I'd have to OK the same term for each document that contains it. It seems to me that, to be useful, a custom dictionary needs to be specific to a single Content Fusion user, and be used for all the documents reviewed by that user. I'm not sure if anyone else agrees. If you create a new feature request, I suppose you can wait and see whether anyone else requests the same thing.

My immediate workaround is to disable automatic spell checking, because it's too distracting to have it flag a bunch of words that are really valid technical terms. I'll rely on the spell checking in Oxygen itself rather than doing any spell checking in Content Fusion.
cristi_talau

Post by cristi_talau »

Hello,

Thanks for the details.

Our API allows you to specify a different dictionary for each opened document just for flexibility. You can specify the same dictionary for many documents. This API can also be used for the per-user dictionary setup, but it requires you to develop a small plugin.

I also registered your feature request and we may provide such functionality out-of-the-box in the future.

Best,
Cristian