XML Conversion

Here should go questions about transforming XML with XSLT and FOP.
jchakra

XML Conversion

Post by jchakra »

Hi,

I want to convert Quark to XML and PDF to XML. Can anyone suggest me the procedure and the tools to be used for the purpose.

JC
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

For Quark to XML conversion you can try the Avenue.quark extension for Quark XPress which enables exporting the document as XML. To convert a PDF document to XML there are some tools available, for example Acrobat plugins for saving a PDF document as XML in Acrobat. Starting with Acrobat 5 there is a plugin provided by Adobe for saving the edited document as PDF. The PDF format does not describe the document structure, but a page layout. This makes inferring the document structure from the layout description very difficult for complex PDF documents so the result of a conversion tool may need some manual editing.

Regards,
Sorin
jchakra

XML Conversion

Post by jchakra »

I have a PDF eBook with lot of images and multi column text and rich formatting like bold, italics, color text, etc. How can I identify the formatting and then create tags in XML. Is there any automated tool for this, because my book is of 770 pages, so manually inserting tags sounds quite cumbersome. Kindly Help

JC
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Did you try the Save As XML Plug-In for Adobe Acrobat 5.0 provided by Adobe ? It adds to Adobe Acrobat 5.0 the possibility to save the PDF document as an XML one.

Regards,
Sorin