Multi-Factor support for SharePoint data source

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
kmank

Multi-Factor support for SharePoint data source

Post by kmank »

Hello,
I am wondering if there is support for a data source connection to SharePoint using Multi-Factor authentication or Conditional Access. We currently use SharePoint access with the Legacy authentication but are told that, due to policies, we can no longer use that.

Are there any options available now or soon? Thanks!
adrian

Re: Multi-Factor support for SharePoint data source

Post by adrian »

Hello,

The Oxygen user guide mentions only Cloud identity (default) or Federated identity (ADFS) authentication methods are supported for SharePoint Online:
Oxygen XML Editor 22.0 - User Guide - Integration with Microsoft SharePoint
So, no, Multi-Factor authentication and Conditional Access are not supported as of v22.0 of Oxygen.
We have improvement requests logged on our issue tracking tool for supporting the two methods of authentication, but they are not scheduled for implementation yet. I've mentioned your concerns.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
kmank

Post by kmank »

Thank you, Adrian, for passing this on. This is a very hot item for our company and have a deadline of end of May for this. I do not expect to see that in Oxygen by then, but it is nice to know that these requests are taken seriously.
kmank

Post by kmank »

Another note: our company is extending the cut-off date due to all the world is currently experiencing. We now have a deadline of the end of October.
Adrian, is there any possible or potential timeline that you may know of when the feature may be available?
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Since this is not scheduled to be implemented yet, I cannot provide a timeline. I can only provide an educated guess.
At best, if this gets scheduled for v23, it will be available in Q3 2020. Note that it's an "if".

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
kmank

Post by kmank »

Adrian, is there a page available that has a list of upcoming features? It would be helpful to keep an eye on what to expect...
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

There is no such page. The list of new features is not made public before they are implemented.
The good news is that it was discussed internally and Multi-Factor support for SharePoint was put on the roadmap for v23.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that Multi-Factor authentication support for SharePoint Online has been implemented in Oxygen v23.1 via web browser authentication (OAuth).
This is now possible starting with Oxygen v23.1 via an action from the "SharePoint Browser" view, User toolbar button (from the view) > "Login with Microsoft". This opens a web browser window that allows you to authenticate with login.microsoftonline.com

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
kmank

Post by kmank »

Thank you Adrian, this is helpful.
kmank

Post by kmank »

I'm revisiting this again now as it is more imperative that I resolve the issue.

I am using Oxygen 23.1 Editor. I can successfully log in using the Log in with Microsoft account feature of the SharePoint Browser.
However, when I try to create a new connection to our SharePoint online (which I can access through the Edge browser without issue), I receive an Access denied message

What are the possible reasons for receiving this? There is no other indication I am aware of.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Are there multiple SharePoint online sites configured in Oxygen or just the one?
Have you tried logging out from the SharePoint Browser in Oxygen and logging back in? There's a drop down menu when you click the logged on user name.

When you used "Log in with Microsoft account ", are you sure you have logged on with the correct credentials that apply to your SharePoint Online site (tenant) used in Oxygen?
If a SharePoint Online site is for a different tenant than the one authenticated, it will not work, but the error is usually different (e.g. "Invalid hostname for this tenancy").

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
kmank

Post by kmank »

Adrian, I'd like to send you a GIF of the process so you can see how it fails. Is there a private email I can send to?
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

Please send it to our support email address, support@oxygenxml.com

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza