Printing topics from webhelp responsive

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
mdslup

Printing topics from webhelp responsive

Post by mdslup »

When printing a topic from webhelp resonsive, the LH nav menu also prints. I remember that in the old webhelp classic, this was not the case. Is there a way to print *only* the topic?

Additionally, I notice that, by default, the icons for notes (warning, caution, danger, etc) are classified as "background-image" in the CSS. By default, many browsers do not print background images, so all my printed topics are missing the icons. Is this a setting with Oxygen I can toggle, or do I need to do custom css to display these icons in a different way (presumably by using the note::before option)?
Costin

Re: Printing topics from webhelp responsive

Post by Costin »

Hi Mark,
When printing a topic from webhhelp responsive, the LH nav menu also prints. I remember that in the old webhelp classic, this was not the case. Is there a way to print *only* the topic?
We already fixed that in the latest maintenance build of WebHelp, therefore you should make sure to download and install the latest maintenance build available from our website, then use that newer installation to run the transformation scenario.

Regarding your second remark, in what it takes printing note icons, indeed, those are classified as "background-image" in CSS, as the WebHelp scenario's main purpose is generating the WebHelp output, not print oriented.
However, I've logged an improvement request in our internal system, so our developers will analyze the possibility of a different implementation in a future version of Oxygen.

Meanwhile, you could either use your own customization CSS, to modify the way the note icons are rendered in the output, or set your internet browser to also print background graphics.
By default, the browsers omit background graphics from printing, but most of them should have an option for that, which you could use.
For example, in Microsoft Edge internet browser, you can enable the "Background graphics" under Options in the Print configuration dialog, when printing the output.
For Mozilla Firefox, in the "Page Setup" section from the Print Preview window, there should be a "Print Background (colors and images)" option which you could enable for this purpose.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
mdslup

Post by mdslup »

We already fixed that in the latest maintenance build of WebHelp, therefore you should make sure to download and install the latest maintenance build available from our website, then use that newer installation to run the transformation scenario.
I just tried this using Oxygen 23 and I get the same behavior. Is the feature (to *not* print the LH nav menu) not present in 23, but only the maintenance pack of 22?
Costin

Post by Costin »

Hi Mark,

We could not reproduce the issue on our side, on the latest version 23.
Please try using the default WebHelp Responsive transformation scenario, clear of any customization and a fresh copy of oXygen XML that use its own bundled DITA-OT for transformations.
You could try testing on the version 23 User-Guide, which is in fact a WebHelp Responsive output generated with the latest version 23 of oXygen and should see the issue does not occur anymore.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
mdslup

Post by mdslup »

OK, I tried this again. It works when I duplicate the Webhelp Responsive scenario, but FAILS when I assign a publishing template to that. Can you try validating this?