Discussion about the Oxygen Git Plugin v2.3.0

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
chrispitude

Discussion about the Oxygen Git Plugin v2.3.0

Post by chrispitude »

I am happy to see that a new version of the Oxygen Git plugin, v2.3.0, is available! It is great to see continued development on this plugin, as it has become the backbone of our document development environment.

I started this thread to discuss it, and I have a question to start things off. When I first opened the new Git Branch Manager view, I noticed some obsolete test/debugging/experimentation remote branches that I no longer needed. I logged into Gitlab and deleted those branches from the server. However, they still show up in the local list:
image.png
image.png (12.21 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
How do I refresh the plugin's list of branches so it notes that they're gone from the remote? There is a refresh button but selecting various things and clicking it doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks!
sorin_carbunaru

Re: Discussion about the Oxygen Git Plugin v2.3.0

Post by sorin_carbunaru »

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your words of appreciation! :D

Now, in regards to the issue you raised, it seems the problem is that we don't prune when fetching the changes. I added EXM-46444 for this.

You can run git remote prune or git fetch --prune from the command line as a workaround.

Best wishes,
Sorin Carbunaru
Oxygen XML Editor
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Thanks Sorin! Perhaps there can be a v2.3.1 in our future? :)
sorin_carbunaru

Yes, of course. We'll see just how soon we can release this version. I would say in 2 weeks or so. Not more than 3. Possibly sooner than 2. :D
chrispitude

Post by chrispitude »

Hi Sorin,

In the following dialog, could you add the repo name?
image.png
image.png (7.07 KiB) Viewed 2629 times
Sometimes I am switching between several repos to do things, and when this pops up, I am never sure which repo it's talking about. Maybe the branch name should be in there too?

Also, I noticed sometimes I'll switch to a repo and manually click the Pull button, then a few seconds later the dialog pops up and asks me to pull the same changes. Perhaps the message could check if a pull operation is already underway?

Thanks as always!
sorin_carbunaru

Hi Chris,

I added EXM-46621 for adding more info in the dialog and EXM-46622 for the second problem.

All the best wishes,
Sorin Carbunaru
sorin_carbunaru

Hi Chris,

We added some more information in the dialog in the recently released v2.4.0. Let me know what you think about that.

Best wishes,
Sorin Carbunaru
mross

Post by mross »

I am also excited to the the improvements of the Git Branch Manager. Question, while I can create a new local branch using Git Manager, I don't see a way to publish that new local branch to the remote. Will that be possible in a future release?
sorin_carbunaru

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback!

To publish a new branch, you need to push it to the remote. You can do this from the main toolbar of the Git Staging side-view. By the way, in such cases, the tooltip of the Push action should read like this: "Create and track remote branch X, and push changes to it".

We also have an issue logged, stating that we should probably add push and pull actions in the Git Manager's context menu as well.

As a last note, I updated the README from GitHub too, to mention that users need to push newly created branches in order to publish them to the remote.

I hope this help.

Oh, and make sure to update to version 2.5.0 of the add-on, if you haven't already done this.

All the best wishes,
Sorin Carbunaru
Oxygen XML Editor