Searching result page doesn't display

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
catherine

Searching result page doesn't display

Post by catherine »

Hi,
I'm using Oxygen 20, and I publish the WebHelp Responsive.
Everything works pretty good.

But there is an issue of searching results.
After I enter a keyword in the searching filed, and press Enter key, nothing appears on the searching result page. I need to refresh the page or press Enter key again, then the searching results listed.
This problem happens many times, which makes our online documents have a bad experience to our customers.

I also find this issue when I am searching topics on Oxygen XML Editor User Manual: https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... index.html.
But the issue is not that frequent for Oxygen XML Editor User Manual.

Any solution to fix this problem?
Or have you improved the searching experience in the new version of Oxygen XML Editor ?
ionela

Re: Searching result page doesn't display

Post by ionela »

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.
We are not aware of such an issue using version 21.1 of oXygen XML and we could not reproduce it using on user manual.
Could you please let us know the search content you've used (the strings you have tried to search) in our user manual)? This way we'll reproduce the problem on our side and further investigate it.

We improve our WebHelp Responsive functionality from one version to another and we recommend using the latest version. From version 20.0 to version 21.1 there are bugfixes included for the search functionality (but not major changes).

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
catherine

Post by catherine »

Hi, Ionela,
Thanks for your response.

I usually found this problem on your online user manual when I was searching topics.

Just now, I tested on your latest user manual V21.1 and old user manual v21.0.
I typed "customization" in the searching field, and press Enter key.

For User Manual v21.1: The results displayed after about 1 or 2 seconds, which might be accepted on the customer's side.
For User Manual v21.0: No results displayed in the "wh_search_results" div. I need to refresh the webpage, then the results were displayed.

Seems this issue was fixed on the latest version, I will try the latest version of Oxygen XML Editor.

By the way, I accessed Oxygen User Manual from China, I wonder if the network affected the searching experience?
But When I tested my local webhelp, same problem.
ionela

Post by ionela »

Hi,

Unfortunately, we could not reproduce this issue neither with v21.0 or with v21.1. The user manual for both versions of oXygen XML (generated with v21.0 and v21.1 are stored on the same server), so the internet connection delay should be the same for both versions.

Regards,
Ionela
Ionela Istodor
amyers3

Post by amyers3 »

I know this topic is quite old, but my customers are experiencing this same issue with webhelp content generated with 22.1. I have also noticed this intermittently. I must refresh the browser after entering a search term in order to display the results.
Adam Myers
Technical Publications Manager
MATRIXX Software
alin
Site Admin

Post by alin »

Hello,

Can you please provide some detailed instructions about the context in which you replicate the issue (browser version, any particular steps you followed, search term, current publication language or anything specific that you consider might influence the search behavior)?
Do you have any customization applied on the your DITA-OT and/or WebHelp Responsive Plugin distributions?
If yes, please try to use a fresh copy of Oxygen XML Editor / Oxygen WebHelp Plugin and see if the problem persists.

Did you encounter the problem on a content that is loaded from the local disk (using the file:/// protocol) or from a remote server?

Also we would need a minimal valid DTA Map sample (topics included) on which the issue can be reproduced.

Regards,
Alin
Alin Balasa
Software Developer
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
davenz

Post by davenz »

Same problem as the original post, same version as the most recent reply to this thread. I'll dig out some environment info and send it.
cosmin_andrei

Post by cosmin_andrei »

Hi catherine,

In order to investigate this issue on our side, please provide the details previously requested by my colleague Alin:
Can you please provide some detailed instructions about the context in which you replicate the issue (browser version, any particular steps you followed, search term, current publication language or anything specific that you consider might influence the search behavior)?
Do you have any customization applied on the your DITA-OT and/or WebHelp Responsive Plugin distributions?
If yes, please try to use a fresh copy of Oxygen XML Editor / Oxygen WebHelp Plugin and see if the problem persists.

Did you encounter the problem on a content that is loaded from the local disk (using the file:/// protocol) or from a remote server?

Also we would need a minimal valid DTA Map sample (topics included) on which the issue can be reproduced.
Regards,
Cosmin
--
Cosmin Andrei
jmichaels

Post by jmichaels »

I am experiencing this issue as well. The search results page works if I enter a search term and click Enter. The results load. If I select any of the auto-suggested terms, then the page hangs.

I am experiencing this in production, and on my local build.

My ENV:
XML Editor 22.1, build 2020121713
DITA-OT WebHelp responsive transformation
Custom .css file
Costin

Post by Costin »

Hi jmichaels,,

As we are not aware of such issues, are you perchance using a custom publishing template?
If you are using a custom template, could you please try using one of the default templates and see if it the hangs/freezes still reproduce?

If it does, could you please provide a sample where the search results hang occurs and let us know the exact steps we should follow in order to reproduce this issue?

Best Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
jmichaels

Post by jmichaels »

Costin wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:11 pm Hi jmichaels,,

As we are not aware of such issues, are you perchance using a custom publishing template?
If you are using a custom template, could you please try using one of the default templates and see if it the hangs/freezes still reproduce?

If it does, could you please provide a sample where the search results hang occurs and let us know the exact steps we should follow in order to reproduce this issue?

Best Regards,
Costin
I am using a customized template, but only the .css and wh_template files. I tried running a build with the default template, and do not see the issue. Do you have any suggestions about how to fix this? Is it a parameter?