Basic workflow help

Questions about XML that are not covered by the other forums should go here.
bcadwell

Basic workflow help

Post by bcadwell »

Hi,

I'm attempting to create an XML file based on a schema from a XSD document and some data I've compile in an excel file.

Using the trail version of <oxygen/>, I was able to generate a sample XML file from the XSD. I don't know how to update that XML file with my real data.

The example video of how to cut and paste data from excel to the XML table is not going to work, because the XSD schema does not produce a simple row/column XML table.

I was able to import the excel data into an XML file, but it doesn't match the needed schema. I don't see a way to map the two XML files together in a way that will validate against the XSD.

I'm a bit confused about why this is all so difficult. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd attach the XSD to this post, but it doesn't seem to be a valid file type.
adrian

Re: Basic workflow help

Post by adrian »

Hello,

I'm afraid it is so difficult because Oxygen does not provide a visual tool that does what you want. There is no visual mapping tool in Oxygen that would allow you to map the imported content from an Excel file to the XML structure described by an XML schema.

Doing this in Oxygen involves developing an XSLT (or XQuery) that does the mapping of the data from the imported XML to another XML that is governed by an XML Schema.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
bcadwell

Re: Basic workflow help

Post by bcadwell »

Hi, thank you for the pointer. I will investigate XSLT. My comment about difficulty was directed at XML workflows in general, certainly not the lack of capability in <oxygen/> XML Editor. On the contrary, this program is the only tool I've used that provides multiple views of the data and meaningful error/information messages. I'm just a XML noob.