Search scope

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
syed

Search scope

Post by syed »

Hi,

We build Webhelp Responsive output. Is it possible for end-users to webhelp to set the scope of search to say within the top-level menus?

For example, if i am on a Getting started guide, i could search the topics only in that set.
https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... intro.html

Syed
cosmin_andrei

Re: Search scope

Post by cosmin_andrei »

Hi Syed,

Unfortunately, it is not possible at this moment to filter the result by the main chapters.

We already have a feature request registered for this and I have added your vote for it.
We will let you know when it will be implemented.
Regards,
Cosmin
--
Cosmin Andrei
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
Graham Hannington

Post by Graham Hannington »

For what it's worth, please add my vote to this feature request.

I have used publishing platforms where, if you click a "set search scope" widget, a check box appears next to each TOC entry. Selecting or deselecting a check box automatically selects or deselects the check boxes of descendant items. You can then select or deselect those descendant items. Selected items determine the search scope.

I would like to see a similar feature in Oxygen WebHelp Responsive.
Costin

Post by Costin »

That's the same improvement request - for faceted search, that we logged.
Added your comment there.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
Graham Hannington

Post by Graham Hannington »

Thanks, Costin.

I wrote:
a check box appears next to each TOC entry
If you feel like adding another comment to that feature, an alternative approach I've seen is to simply limit the search scope to the current topic and its descendants (without all those check boxes in the TOC).
Costin

Post by Costin »

Hi Graham,

I've added your comment, as-is on the issue.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
alin
Site Admin

Post by alin »

Hello,

I wanted to follow up to announce you that the Oxygen WebHelp Responsive output generated with Oxygen Publishing Engine 26.0 now features faceted search functionality. This feature is powered by Oxygen Feedback 4.0, which can be configured as an external search engine for the WebHelp Responsive output.

To use this functionality, facets must be defined using a DITA Subject Scheme Map, which enables the categorization of DITA topics into various controlled values and subject definitions​​. Once defined, these faceted values must be associated with specific DITA topics using a DITA Classification Map.

In practice, this means when users search within the WebHelp Responsive output, they can now narrow down their search results by selecting relevant facets. This update significantly improves the user's ability to find specific topics efficiently.

For a detailed guide on configuring faceted search in your WebHelp Responsive output, please refer to our user manual: How to Configure Faceted Search in WebHelp Output

All the latest WebHelp Responsive versions of our user manuals have been generated with version 26 of Oxygen Publishing Engine. Moreover they are using Oxygen Feedback Cloud as search engine. Here are some of our user manuals where you can try the faceted search feature:
- Oxygen WebHelp Responsive
- Oxygen Feedback Cloud

Regards,
Alin
Alin Balasa
Software Developer
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com