Share Schematron Files Across Projects

Oxygen general issues.
dreifsnider

Share Schematron Files Across Projects

Post by dreifsnider »

(Apologies if this is the incorrect category to ask this question)

I have a situation that I'd like some guidance/opinion on how to best handle.

I have several Schematron files that I want to use to automatically validate DITA/XML content in Oxygen. The problem is that I have several teams that are each using their own Oxygen Project File (.xpr) to manage their own individual projects, and each team wants to use these Schematron files in each of their separate projects.

So my question is what's the best way to share Schematron files across projects?

Currently, the Schematron files are stored in their own Git repository separate from the repositories where each project file is stored.

Obviously, I'd like to make the process for each technical writer/project user as painless as possible so this would mean they would need to clone only two repositories (the project repo and the Schematron repo).

I've looked into creating an external custom framework stored alongside the Schematron files that would call the Schematron files and could be referenced by each project, but I'm wondering if there's a better option available? Also, is there a way to validate that the custom framework exists on the user's computer and to throw an error when it doesn't? This would ensure that each project user is required to clone the Schematron repo.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

Daniel
shudson310

Re: Share Schematron Files Across Projects

Post by shudson310 »

Hi Daniel,

I've implemented a similar scenario at a few different companies.

I used oXygen's custom framework to set up the validation, transform scenarios, and other oXygen customizations. I've stored that framework in a separate tools repo when I did not have access to a webserver to deploy the framework as described here: https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... aring.html

Then, the authors just have to clone the tools repo, and go to Options > Preferences > Document Type Association > Locations to add the path to the custom framework in their local tools repo. Then, to get any updates to the framework, they just have to pull the tools repo.
Scott Hudson
Staff Content Engineer
Site: docs.servicenow.com
dreifsnider

Re: Share Schematron Files Across Projects

Post by dreifsnider »

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the response! I like your implementation and I think I'll pursue this option.

I think the biggest hurdle is ensuring that each author properly clones the repo containing the custom framework. I'm wondering if there's a way in Oxygen to present an error when it can't find the custom framework? Otherwise, I worry that an author will continue creating content without realizing they're not using the additional Schematron validations.

Thankfully, since the authors are accustomed to using a shared project file, I can simply update the Location preferences in the project.

Thanks again for your guidance!

Daniel