Chinese , and : appears as # in PDF output

RiiaN
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:22 pm

Chinese , and : appears as # in PDF output

Post by RiiaN » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:38 pm

Hi,

I've encountered a problem when producing PDF outputs in Chinese. The Chinese versions of , and : are always produced as #-symbol. I do not have the same issue with the Chinese full stop. They appear normally in Oxygen Editor as ,and :.

So I'm assuming that the problem is somewhere in my plugin PDF-settings, possibly in the variables? But I honestly have no real idea. The whole dita-ot package my company uses is very highly personalized for the company, and was done by subcontractor several years before I came. And of course, there is virtually no support as the company that originally made the dita-ot package no longer provides these services (and besides, the whole dita usage comes from another company now).

Any suggestions on what I could do, where to start looking?

Radu
Posts: 7150
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:18 pm

Re: Chinese , and : appears as # in PDF output

Post by Radu » Tue May 12, 2020 8:11 am

Hi,

If you publish to PDF using the classic XSL-FO based publishing, there is a font-mappings.xml file somewhere either in the DITA Open Toolkit or in your custom PDF plugin which needs to be changed to add fonts which support Chinese:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... e-FOP.html

If you publish to PDF using our Chemistry CSS processor then the extra fonts can be added from the CSS:

https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/ ... fonts.html

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com

RiiaN
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:22 pm

Re: Chinese , and : appears as # in PDF output

Post by RiiaN » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, my colleague managed to fix this issue.

Now I've encountered an issue that is similar but not the same. I changed my work computer over the summer, and now the PDF output shows all Asian characters as ## (I have documents in Chinese and Japanese). I suspect that the ## characters mean that I'm missing some fonts. But I've checked the fonts in my system and I have all the fonts in C:/Windows/Fonts that are defined in font-mappings.xml.

However, the these fonts are not in the company custom plugin. C:\..\plugins\com.xxxxx.pdf\fop\conf\fonts
Could this be the issue?

Radu
Posts: 7150
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:18 pm

Re: Chinese , and : appears as # in PDF output

Post by Radu » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi,

In the Oxygen Preferences->"DITA / Logging" page you can choose to Show console output->Always.
Then run the transformation scenario and in the console view at the end of the console output there should be various warning messages in which the Apache FOP processor complains that it cannot render certain characters with certain fonts. This should give you an indication about what fonts the FOP processor tries to use for rendering the character.
If you cannot figure this out you can write to "support@oxygenxml.com", attach the entire console output as a zipped text file and I can try to find some time and take a look at it.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com

Post Reply