Move oxygen*.vmoptions To Home Directory

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
Jamil

Move oxygen*.vmoptions To Home Directory

Post by Jamil »

I increase JVM memory to oxygen*.vmoptions only to have it lost when I update to a newer release. Some times I forget to update it again and only learn of insufficient memory when I see an error message. My request is to move this configuration file to the associated users home directory. This way it may be customized for the current user with no fear of being lost during updates.

The only caveat to this request is the event you introduce new options later that do not exist in a user's home location. I am sure you can work out something to also handle this scenario too!

I specified user's home directory, since you are cross platform. For Windows, this location would be:

C:/Users/%USERNAME%/AppData/Local/OxygenXML
Jamil

Re: Move oxygen*.vmoptions To Home Directory

Post by Jamil »

After thinking about this a little more, there's changes you may make to minimize the amount of work needed to complete my request.

I propose the following changes:
  • Keep the existing vmoptions file creation in OxygenXML's installation location as currently. For the latest version, it is called oxygen22.1.vmoptions.
  • Add support for looking for and using an additional file that overrides the file above located in the user's home directory. This file that overrides the default file must have a file name that does not contain a version. For example, name the file: oxygen.vmoptions
When the override oxygen.vmoptions does not exist, there will be no change to existing behavior present today. When the oxygen.vmoptions does it exist, use this file and its contents for all options instead of the default oxygen22.1.vmoptions. A user like me may simply make a copy of oxygen22.1.vmoptions to then place in C:/Users/%USERNAME%/AppData/Local/OxygenXML/oxygen.vmoptions modified with my specific options. New installations will never change this file, and my settings will then remain after upgrades.
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hello,

Currently oxygen22.1.vmoptions has two includes for custom vmoptions files:

Code: Select all

-include-options custom_commons.vmoptions
-include-options custom_oxygen.vmoptions
Either of these two files mentioned in the includes can be created in the installation folder and will stick between Oxygen updates in the same folder (same major version). If you install a new major version in a different folder, you have to create them again.
  • custom_commons.vmoptions is included by all the vmoptions, so it affects all .exe launchers (the scripts with no extension for Linux). It is suitable for settings common for all the apps, not for memory.
  • custom_oxygen.vmoptions is specific to the oxygen22.1 launcher, so you could create this one to adjust the memory.
We are planning to also include custom .vmoptions files from the user profile folder. We would most likely use the Oxygen preferences folder from the user profile, which in Windows is C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\com.oxygenxml
They would probably have the same names, custom_commons.vmoptions and custom_oxygen.vmoptions.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Jamil

Post by Jamil »

If I may install a new version (major or minor) without losing my vmoptions and never have to manually edit anything (that I later forget to do), this will meet my needs.

If I still have to remember to edit files, this will not help me.
tatra603

Post by tatra603 »

I am also voting for moving "custom*.vmoptions" from "C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Developer" to "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\com.oxygenxml.developer" folder. This does make me a much sense than having "custom*.vmoptions" in "%ProgramFiles%".

Also I suggest, that if any value (e. g. -Xmx) appears both in custom and non-custom file, than custom will overwrite those in non-custom.