file-less URLs in Oxygen webhelp?

Post here questions and problems related to editing and publishing DITA content.
maglid

file-less URLs in Oxygen webhelp?

Post by maglid »

I'm publishing DITA files to responsive Oxygen webhelp and the client wants to have URLs to topic pages that do not have ".html" in the URL. So if normal webhelp has a topic URL like this:

/webhelp/docs/c_overview.html

Instead of that, they want this:

/webhelp/docs/c_overview

They were using an Ember app for the web-based help before, and Ember apparently has a URL routing capability that does this. Can Oxygen webhelp do something like this?

Thanks,
Mark
Costin

Re: file-less URLs in Oxygen webhelp?

Post by Costin »

Hello,

In content, Oxygen XML WebHelp does not have capability to generate links without the .html extension and does not autimatically route them.
The routing could be most probably performed by the HTTP server that hosts your WebHelp Responisve, so you should look into configuring the server to correctly serve the URL, even if the links do not have the .html extension.

I've also logged an improvement request in our internal tracing system, so our developers will try to see if there is something we could implement in our side for that.

Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
maglid

Re: file-less URLs in Oxygen webhelp?

Post by maglid »

Thanks Costin. Unfortunately, this Oxygen webhelp system is served from a Google Cloud bucket, which does not provide any redirect capabilities. I had already checked. We'll figure something out. I might write my own javascript to do this.