Scale GUI for high resolution screen

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
MatijaOgrin

Scale GUI for high resolution screen

Post by MatijaOgrin »

Hello there,

I use Oxygen 22.0 on Ubuntu 19.10 and I need to "scale" the entire GUI of Oxygen because all the icons, text and menus are extremely small. I would need at least 200% or 300% scaling.

I have searched across Oxygen help and this forum, esp. this thread seems promising:
post57321.html?hilit=high%20resolution#p57598
but still, I do not understand:
  • where do you advise me to set the scaling -- in java or somewhere within Oxygen?
  • in which file exactly?
  • is this the right variable:

Code: Select all

-Dcom.oxygenxml.hidpi.scaling=1.5
  • and can I set it to 3.0?

Your advice will be very helpful. Best,
Matija
adrian

Re: Scale GUI for high resolution screen

Post by adrian »

Hi,

On Linux with OpenJDK 11 and later, Java/Oxygen won't automatically scale with the system scaling setting. Oxygen v22.0 bundles OpenJDK 13.
All the answers are in the post you found:
adrian wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:56 pm You can set it in oxygen22.0.vmoptions, or better yet, in a new file named custom_commons.vmoptions so that all other tools also pick this up and also make this persistent between maintenance build updates (new files are not removed).
But it was actually correct to set

-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2
because Java scaling doesn't seem to be working automatically for you, so that's what needs addressing.
To answer your questions:
  • where do you advise me to set the scaling -- in java or somewhere within Oxygen?
    In a file from the Oxygen installation folder.
  • in which file exactly?
    Create a new file named custom_commons.vmoptions in the Oxygen folder. This vmoptions file covers all Oxygen tools. If you set it in the file oxygen22.0.vmoptions, it only covers Oxygen XML Editor.
  • is this the right variable: -Dcom.oxygenxml.hidpi.scaling=1.5
    No, that is the Oxygen specific scaling property. For Linux, since Java scaling detection isn't working, the generic Java property is required

-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2
  • and can I set it to 3.0?
    Yes, but note that Oxygen doesn't have x3 (300%) sized resources (icons, images, etc), only x1 and x2 (200%). Only text and vector graphics will be scaled to x3, the icons/images will be set to the available x2.
    I can only imagine x3 scaling being useful for 5k or 8k screens, or maybe small 4k screens.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
MatijaOgrin

Re: Scale GUI for high resolution screen

Post by MatijaOgrin »

Hello Adrian,
Many thanks, it works great for me!
Best,
Matija