Validation scenario as an Action for mapping to a button in the UI

Are you missing a feature? Request its implementation here.
dcramer

Validation scenario as an Action for mapping to a button in the UI

Post by dcramer »

Hi there,

We have a validation scenario that can be expensive so we don't have it on by default. We can have users configure their validation scenario to turn it on, but then they have to remember to turn it back off. The process involves a few clicks each time. Users have requested a single button to run this one validation scenario. Am I correct in assuming this will require writing a custom Operation and adding it to the Classpath? It would be nice if validation scenarios were available as Actions out of the box so I could easily add a button for a specific scenario.

Regards,
David
Radu

Re: Validation scenario as an Action for mapping to a button in the UI

Post by Radu »

Hi David,

We have a builtin operation for running transformation scenarios "ExecuteTransformationScenariosOperation" but unfortunately we do not have a builting Author operation for running a validation scenario with a specific name. We would first need to add API to invoke one (or mutiple) validation scenarios given their names and then this API could use used from a custom Author operation to validate. I added an internal issue based on your request. You will be notified on this thread when the API is available.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
dcramer

Post by dcramer »

It would be ideal if this mechanism worked with an id associated with the validation scenario instead of the validation scenario's name. This would avoid the situation where a framework maintainer rename's a validation scenario without realizing there's a dependency elsewhere in the framework on that exact user-visible string. But I realize that would be a much bigger change and is unlikely to happen.

Thanks,
David
Radu

Post by Radu »

Hi David,

Yes, assigning IDs to all our validation and transformation scenarios would be a bigger endeavor. Also people might not want to manually add ids every time they create a scenario so we would need to probably auto assign unique ID values to created scenarios. And then we would need to also handle older scenarios which do not have defined IDs.
So for now we'll stick to using the scenario names for identification.

Regards,
Radu
Radu Coravu
<oXygen/> XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
alex_jitianu

Post by alex_jitianu »

Hello David,

In the newly release Oxygen 22.1, there is a new operation available, ExecuteValidationScenariosOperation, that will execute one or more validation scenarios. I hope it helps!

Best regards,
Alex